Lil Help Needed Here

Update
Despite no inside ‘ramp’ on middle chainring, tech confirmed shifts correctly
with front mech
However
Gap between granny gear and middle chaining is too large. Chain lodges between granny and middle chaining
After another conversation with tech, he now understands that we ‘need to make it work’. Showed him/told him about BITD stories of shims/outside the box solutions to solve fitment issues.
We ordered some crank bolt spacers.

He gave me a beer out of shop’s cooler as well.
Fingers Crossed

94 BCD rings are pretty normal, well were at a point in time. I can see the issue you have with your 'middle' ring, which is in fact an outer, so won't be designed to fit where you want it, nor have the shifting ramps and spacing to sit where you want it, which is probably why the gap is too big and your chain drops in there.

A quick Google finds many options, here's one, you could get a full set by the looks of it.

https://www.profileracing.com/product/mtb-chainrings/

As someone who is also searching for 110/74 and 94/58 for two different cranks (but very specific brand rings), there are TONS of options available on evilBay. Thousands. Single units, full sets, VGC and lots of NOS. If anything, 110/74 5-hole is much more limited because 94/58 5-hole was released in the early/mid 90's and all but killed 110/74 in some aspects.

I like the way you're developing a cooperative relationship with the tech. Sounds like a great guy.

The dudes (and gals) down at the bike co-op are pretty amazing people; among other things, they get this vintage stuff. People at the shop.... eeeeeh not so much. I think they are kind of used to working on new bikes.

You learn this kinda stuff by hanging out with gearheads, especially gearheads willing to look over your shoulder while you do it. That kinda relationship is priceless. Give a man a fish, etc

Co-ops like to keep bikes out of the recycling and run off of community donations to help keep other peoples bikes running. Plus they tend to have older more relevant parts on hand. The big store bike shop wants to sell a new bike then retain your new bike with expensive maintenance intervals hoping the customer has two left hands.

94 BCD rings are pretty normal, well were at a point in time. I can see the issue you have with your 'middle' ring, which is in fact an outer, so won't be designed to fit where you want it, nor have the shifting ramps and spacing to sit where you want it, which is probably why the gap is too big and your chain drops in there.

A quick Google finds many options, here's one, you could get a full set by the looks of it.

https://www.profileracing.com/product/mtb-chainrings/
That’s where I got outer!

As someone who is also searching for 110/74 and 94/58 for two different cranks (but very specific brand rings), there are TONS of options available on evilBay. Thousands. Single units, full sets, VGC and lots of NOS. If anything, 110/74 5-hole is much more limited because 94/58 5-hole was released in the early/mid 90's and all but killed 110/74 in some aspects.
I could of been riding much sooner
But
I really wanted to(maybe to a fault, mind you) keep same gearing.
46/36/24
Tons of options but usually found 44/32

Not that I’m a bad ass or anything, but I really prefer riding as ‘high gear’ as I can.
Up to the rider to anticipate the throw down if trail dictates.

I wish I had been familiar with BCD b4 crank purchase/anodizing
It’s my fault I’m in this position

I like the way you're developing a cooperative relationship with the tech. Sounds like a great guy.

The dudes (and gals) down at the bike co-op are pretty amazing people; among other things, they get this vintage stuff. People at the shop.... eeeeeh not so much. I think they are kind of used to working on new bikes.

You learn this kinda stuff by hanging out with gearheads, especially gearheads willing to look over your shoulder while you do it. That kinda relationship is priceless. Give a man a fish, etc
Thanks
IMO it’s an art form that only is known bc I have been in same position (usually with my Subaru GC8…..that i wrench on exclusively)
Ask questions, listen, don’t be a dick(wanker(?)) and most importantly
DONT RUSH the tech/mechanic

Hell, just like u said Tampa…..
I built rapport with tech about joking about the old bike and old tools needed
Tech explained that he prefers older (Shimano Quality) to disassemble and we have tools needed NP
I came back with
‘When is that last time you touched those old ass tools?’
He started laughing…..’long time bro…..long time’

BTW
Cranks looked breathe taking
I didn’t have my phone on me and didn’t feel need to tell tech ‘wait so I can take a pix’
That action would go against everything above^^^^

Thanks again everyone
Keep Y’all posted

Back