Removing a freewheel, from a hub

I understand your reluctance, Shaun.

In my world, the hubs that need this doing are old Joytechs and Quandos scavenged off the streets. Chances are they never had their freewheels removed in their life before. OTOH I've got one pair of 30-year-old Campag hubs owned from new that will never need such treatment, touch wood!

I've done the spokes/partial wheel build/vice trick a few times when I used to work in the trade.
If you've got a decent vice/workbench and a steady hand, you can build up half of the idle side and get it off that way. Cheap rims and spokes is the order of the day, a light weight rim might be damaged if you haul on it with only a quarter of the required spokes.

We may have an old rim in the garage, failing that I'll have a word with my LBS, as they get all sorts in there for repair.

Two ways I´we done it is:

1: put the freewheel tool in a vice, mount hub on tool, use a adjustable pin spanner in the spoke holes, and that way getting it off.

2: same as 1, but using a oil filter wrench that uses a nylon strap, cheap as chips in a car market.

Back