Recommend me a grown-up car

The Renaults, Peugeots and Citroens are all terrible terrible cars once they get out of warranty. I wouldnt touch any with a pointy stick. I work with the faults that these cars have everyday. The Espace is nearly 3 tons! The Scenic likes to leave its windows open, the Citroens are made of cheese and the Puegeot, oh, Peugeot...

Re:

Look at an A6 Avant - get one with FSH and don't worry about the milage - they go on and on.

Bags of room (much more than A4 or octavia).

Failing that a Passat or Skoda Superbe.

Stay clear of anything French.

Re: Re:

LDP":2ahg6kds said:
I wouldn't ignore a Renault Espace if absolute space is what you are after (holidays etc). A lot of the large estates don't actually have 3 proper seats in the rear so can't accommodate a 3 x child seat / booster combo. The Cirroen Grand Picasso or Renault Grand Scenic is also another good option for your price range and all have multiple isofix plus luggage space.

Hmm, I hadn't considered the out of warranty costs of maintaining these cars :facepalm:

Re:

I've got a '59 plate octavia VRs diesel and, while its a good car, I won't recommend for someone with three young kids. Because its golf based its narrower than a mondeo or audi a4/a6 so you'd struggle to get three car seats in the back comfortably.

something larger like a mazda 6, volvo v70, vauxhall insignia would be bettter. all dull but worthy.

I'd also be looking a petrol over diesel to help minimise some of the out of maintenance costs (turbo, dual mass fly wheel etc)

Citroen Picasso - excellent size and comfort for a family, drives like a car and despite what others say, are no more of a gamble than any other manufacturer.

Mark :D

Back