recently refreshed my 1983 Ritchey Timbercomp

1980sMTB

Dirt Disciple
I thought I would share my favourite early MTB - a Tom Ritchey built MTB from 1983 - probably not that many like it in the UK. Essentially its Shimano Deerhead group with early Mavic MTB rims and hubs. I fine and comfortable ride all these years on and still in its original paint and decals.
1666134979536.png

What a beauty!!! 😍

Beautifully built and detailed frames. It looks like one smooth ride.:cool:

Interested to know when/how you got it as don't see many early ones this side of the pond.

Family friends in Colorado put me onto it and a friendly bike shop over there boxed it and send it over to me about 15 years ago - it needed period parts, a strip and clean, some colour matched touch-up paint (which turned out to be an Alfa colour as the closest match) to touch-in any stone chips etc I didn't want to repaint it. I have been collecting Deerhead parts, period wheelset etc for some time now for it. Like most of us, I struggle to get good early amberwall tyres that are still usable, so the Panaracers are okay on it. Yes its a cross between a cruiser/clunker comfort but with quality steel MTB look and feel. The frame sticker on it actually says "built by Tom Ritchey" on the frame sticker as opposed to "designed by Tom Ritchey" like my later Ritchey. You could say I love Tom's handy work - its a pleasure to behold. Thanks for your comments its good to share the fruits of our labours for eachother to appreciate and see what's out there👍 ;) ... Its would be nice to put a handmade Ritchey bull-moose bar on it at some point, However, its comfortable and the alloy 'golf-club' stem and early 25.0mm risers fitted also from and early 80s MTB that do also suit the bike. I'm always on the look out for a lovely matching bar by Tom too, something might turn up or I could have something fabricated to spec. one day.

Last edited:
Lovely bike sir. That, the Fisher and the Muddy Fox make for a nice collection

Family friends in Colorado put me onto it and a friendly bike shop over there boxed it and send it over to me about 15 years ago - it needed period parts, a strip and clean, some colour matched touch-up paint (which turned out to be an Alfa colour as the closest match) to touch-in any stone chips etc I didn't want to repaint it. I have been collecting Deerhead parts, period wheelset etc for some time now for it. Like most of us, I struggle to get good early amberwall tyres that are still usable, so the Panaracers are okay on it. Yes its a cross between a cruiser/clunker/steelMTB and a lovely ride still - and yes the stick on it actually says "built by Tom Ritchey" on the frame sticker as opposed to "designed by Tom Ritchey" like my later Ritchey. You could say I love Tom's handy work - its a pleasure to behold. Thanks for your comments its good to share the fruits of our labours for eachother to appreciate and see what's out there👍 ;) ... Its would be nice to put a handmade Ritchey bull-moose bar on it at some point, However, its comfortable and the alloy bar/stem fitted is from the early 80s and do also suit it, but I'm always on the look out for a lovely matching bar by Tom too, something might turn up or I could have something fabricated to spec. one day.
So you've had it for sometime. You wouldn't want to be paying for shipping from the US with today's rates! 😬 Bike looks great as it is. Some skinwalls would certainly help make it look period, but would cost you some big money if you wanted period correct ones from the early 80s.

Ritchey bullmoose bar/stem combo would be the icing on the cake, but finding a pair would certainly be mission, not to mention the cost!

Looks like it would be lovely to ride, that's the most important thing! :cool:💪

Nice tyres, but only available in the US? Would be pretty pricey to get to the UK. Plus the 2.3" width might prove a bit tricky with clearance? I think the Terra One's are slightly narrower for retro-mod tyre options.
Right, probably a bit big for those retro stays. Can't you guys get them in the UK?

Back