Bushranger apprehended - 1983 Malvern Star

shogun

Senior Retro Guru
Malvern Star is an Aussie brand with a very long history. The '83 Bushranger was their second attempt at a mountain bike, after private labelling a low end Araya earlier in the year. This was one of the earliest attempts at a production mountain bike by a mainstream company in Australia. The frame appears to have many similarities to my '84 Muddy Fox, and the same fork. My thinking is that they were likely made by the same Japanese volume builder, probably Toyo.
Another marketplace buy, I went back and forward with the seller for about a week than had to race another buyer across the state (230km away!) to pick it up.

Bushrangers, were outlaws during Australia's colonial period, at their peak in the mid 19th century. They still hold quite a grip on the national imagination.

Freewheeling Magazine feature, September 1983

Freewheeling September 1983
by floody31, on Flickr

Freewheeling September 1983
by floody31, on Flickr

As found. Actually pretty close to original spec, although the handlebar had been replaced by a Scott AT2 (unfortunately with some minor filing of the MTS-100 bar clamps), a 7 speed freewheel has been fitted, and the AL-11 derailleur has been replaced with Acera-X

1983 Malvern Star Bushranger
by floody31, on Flickr

by floody31, on Flickr

After a couple of component swaps to get an idea of direction, this is where it's at:

by floody31, on Flickr

Lots of work to do. One rear cantilever boss is loose, have to zap it with a TIG to tighten it up. I need to source a tidy AL-11 rear derallieur, and some better period appropriate grips. The BB needs servicing, and the 7Xs are sadly worn beyond being trailworthy. Skinwall Comp III copies are on backorder, a very sad set of Fattrax are just keeping the rims off the ground. It's a little bit big but I think it will be a good rider.

Frame: Malvern Star Bushranger 'Chromium-Molybdenum Tubing Brazed with Silver Nickel Low Temperature Alloys' (per the seat tube sticker)
Fork: Biplane Tange
Headset: Chrome Tange MA60
Stem: Sakae MTS-100
Handlebar: Sakae MTB-100
Grips: TBD (Original spec is foam, I don't like foam grips)

Brakes: Dia Compe GC980
Brake Cables: Dia Compe
Brake Levers: Dia Compe 280

Shifters: Shimano EM
Front Derailleur: Shimano AL-11
Rear Derailleur: AL-11
Freewheel: Uniglide
Chain: Shimano
Cranks: Takagi Tourney XT (tested spec says SR Aerox but I believe these to be original)
Pedals: TBD
Rims: Araya 7X polished
Hubs: Suzue Sealed Bearing
Tyres: TBD, Comp III copies or Rider T1 probably

Saddle: Kashimax
Seatpost: SR Laprade
Seatpost Binder: Suzue binder, Hite Rite dropper

Weight: Probably about 1-1/4 bars of gold bullion from a stagecoach robbery

Back