RBotM - November - BRITISH MONTH - Nominations

One family owner from new!

My contribution supporting Jamie's role in putting some life back into the competition -

1951 Hobbs of Barbican Clubweight - fillet brazed Accles & Pollock Kromo tubeset
Sturmey Archer 3 speed alloy hub*
Large flange Bayliss Wiley hub (modified axle with q/r)
Weinmann 27" alloy rims
Panaracer tyres
GB Spearpoint stem*
GB touring bars*
Universal side pull brakes & levers*
Brookes B15 saddle*
SR track chainset (original* Williams now rechromed)
GPM pedals
Bluemels Club Special mudguards (NoS)
Bluemels pump.

This bike was built by my Wife's Dad for a tour of the Loire Valley in 1952, I had the frame restored (with the non-standard build) in the mid 1980s - I've been collecting components for the bikes rebuild to it's 1952 Loire tour specification together with fixing decals which were not available in the mid 1980s.

The Hobbs has the super rare brass and glass enamel organ style headbadge.

Jon.

N.B items marked * are the originals bought when first built between 1951 and the tour in August 1952.

Attachments

• HoB.jpg
    HoB.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 385
Re:

I have an rBotM winning Raleigh and a 2012 Jackson. Would seem wrong entering either.

Good luck to those that do though ;)

Mike

This competition is a breath of fresh air. Looking forward to seeing more, proper retro British steeds.

Well, here we go with one of my Dave Russell bikes. This was built for me as a pure Time Trial frame by Bill Gray in 1972 but, in a spell of early wedded bliss (ie, severe impecunity!) I had to sell it quite quickly in '73. I only raced it 2 or 3 times. It was used by its new owner very successfully and he 'retired' it in '79 getting it resprayed but never used it again. I learned it was available a few years ago and bought it back along with several of the original fittings.

Fitted with mostly Campag components, my original drilled chainrings and original Universal drilled brakes, Cinelli bars and stem etc. - and some NOS Lion light tubulars on 28 spoke wheels.

Attachments

• 72DaveRussellMar11.5.B.jpg
    72DaveRussellMar11.5.B.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 369
Hi guys, thanks very much for supporting this and getting these machines posted up here. Its going to be a great month I think.
As for the rules, they are listed in the Wiki section but rule 14 states: '14. If a bike wins BoTM it cannot be re-entered in any poll by the same owner.'
If you haven't won, then a bike can enter as many times as it likes.
There are a few other rules such as must have pedals etc, so worth checking. The powers that be will tolerate me flexing the rules slightly but not chucking them out completely.
So contrary to my earlier statement, only if it hasn't won previously, enter away Mike :)
I really look at it as more of a showcase of our bikes with the benefit that at the end, the rest of us vote for the one we like best that month. All in good fun and taste and open to all, from the super rare ex pro racer machine to the schoolboys first proper bike.
Thanks again
Jamie

*********UPDATE********
RULE: 14. If a bike wins BoTM it cannot be re-entered in any poll by the same owner.

Re:

Beginning to think my Mercian is to new for this thread :roll: ergo and all . Can I change it for something more period.
I used to be indecisive , now I am not so sure :facepalm:

Re: Re:

bagpuss":p5jpvg6n said:
Beginning to think my Mercian is to new for this thread :roll: ergo and all . Can I change it for something more period.
I used to be indecisive , now I am not so sure :facepalm:

It's ok Puss, I will soften the embarasment with an Sti shod bike soon ! :shock: ;)

Mike

I think your Mercian is fine Bagpuss but change away.

UPDATE:
**** Entering a machine that has won RBotM Previously ***********
It has been pointed out that regarding a machine that has previously won RBotM, that it cannot be entered in any other BotM competition, themed or not.
My apologies.

Jamie

Jamiedyer":1jf09rj2 said:
I think your Mercian is fine Bagpuss but change away.

UPDATE:
**** Entering a machine that has won RBotM Previously ***********
It has been pointed out that regarding a machine that has previously won RBotM, that it cannot be entered in any other BotM competition, themed or not.
My apologies.

Jamie

Seems fair to me, I wonder whether I should enter at all actually. As I have won before. Think I'll try PotM instead Jamie. Hope you're coping with Mod duties ok mate ;)

Mike

Back