RBotM June 2018 - Theme - 1940 to 1959 Nominations now open

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, here goes...

1958 Carlton All Chrome.

Fully chromed 531 Lindrick lugged frame. 10-speed, step geared Cyclo set up. GB brakes, bars and stem. Lycett Swallow saddle. Not one for the hills down here!

P4283603_zpsf4rqytol.jpg

P4283615_zpsooswr1qc.jpg

With regard to my entry in this competition, the bike was purchased from a seller who contacted me via my website. The cycle was bought second hand by his grandfather in the early 60s to time trial in Kettering, where he was from. He (the seller) wanted the cycle to go to an enthusiast and so that it would be restored, ridden and not sold for parts. The bike was purchased by me for a moderate sum about 8 years ago, the seller, who had not ridden it since the early 2000s was not interested in profit, only that his grandfathers bike would be enjoyed again. I know he was more than happy with seeing the machine lightly restored to working condition when I sent him the images of it complete.

:D Ooohhh, proper old school handmade bikes.......... it’s going to be a doozy of a theme month! :cool:

Tidy looking Hobbs, & nice to see 70+ survivor.
But don’t write off all the above as restorations, THM’s Armstrong Moth is the real deal... and survived in the Wet country! (Sorry I ment West Country) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Old Ned":2sduinsx said:
Well, amongst my stash I have this as my oldest machine. Sadly I haven't photographed it with wheels in and it's in the loft as I write but it's still an interesting item. It is a 1951 Williamson from Hyde near Manchester and it's original owner is a friend of mine who raced it a few times at Fallowfield track as a young lad until he was diagnosed with a heart complaint so stopped racing. He still went touring though and rode this bike to work for many years hence the remains of a mudguard. I think the saddle, chainset, bars and stem are all original but he binned the original wheels years ago as they were sprints and tubs - Harden hubs with Constrictor rims. What price would they fetch these days I wonder?! It is Red enamel (Dave says he wanted a Red flamboyant but Williamsons couldn't do that!) and completely original. This is interesting as I have a 'history' of Williamsons which states that a customer could have any colour he liked - so long as it was Green. By all accounts Williamson must have bought a bargain bulk lot of Green paint which he (allegedly) used all the time.

I do have a small flange Airlite double fixed rear wheel and a large flange Airlite front (with red flanges) which I should really clean up and fit so I can ride it. With the frame there was a GB front stirrup and San Georgio lever (which is completely shot) but I have a GB Superhood lever that I could use instead. AFAIK it still has all the original bearings in the BB and headset, probably along with the original grease (or what remains of it!).

Nice back story Paul, much preferred to the tiresome, this is my latest ebay purchase.

Jon.

It will have to be something special to knock that Paris off the top spot even though its' owner thinks it's a Pairs ! Absolutely stunning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back