rBoTM RBOTM - July 2022 - Open Month - Enter Now!!!!

road Bike of The Month
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, had a very pleasant ride out today, first decent ride on my “managers special” RRA, a mate borrowed my Raleigh Solitaire 20 and we ambled around the trails from Brierley Park to Pleasley Park then on to Hardwick Hall.

More info on this one-off RRA can be found here:- https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/rra-special.441740/
It was originally built in 1973 with drop bars and AVA sprint rims which the seller later also provided, I rebuilt the wheels using the original Normandy Competition Luxe hubs and Weinmann eyeletted wire-on 27" rims with Michelin 1 1/8" tyres. I've got enough bikes with drops so I kept the straights and swapped the down tube changers for stem changers. Huret Jubilee front and rear derailleurs, Stronglight 52/38 chainset with chain guard.

r1.jpg r2.jpg

Salvage yard special .
On a recent holiday in Shropshire I found an old Falcon Classic Tourer for £40 at a salvage yard sale. It had some fair components on it so for 40 stamps home it came.
501 frame set with original paint in vgc
Stronglight triple ,Shimano dp 105 brakes {Nut fit}, Shimano tri colour levers {Sold for£20 }, Falcon drops , Shimano 500LX rm , Shimano fm ,105 dt levers ,Rigida rims etc , Bundle now stood me at £20 . Apart from changing the wheels and fitting straight bars and swapping the old Brooks saddle which was well past its best . I passed all the bits on to my mate Brian as a project . He loves to tinker . I said take your time with it . 3 days later phone rings , "Its finished " said Brian .

He was well chuffed as was I with the end result .

Falcon Classic Tourer . by rebalrid, on Flickr

Gazelle Tour de l'Avenir - 1977 - Reynolds 531 - tubulars - 60 cm
thumbnail_20220604_173959-kopie.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back