Raleigh Torus.

Buy some Plusgas. Anything else is just not so good. Use loads of the stuff, and leave it to work for at LEAST 4-5 days. It doesn't work instantly.

I've often soaked threads for a few weeks if I know they'll need to come out. It's good stuff :)

Bottom bracket still not moving, I think I might try clamping the removal tool in a vice in work and try turning the frame on the removal tool.
Usually I wouldn't be bothered by this but the chain set I want to use won't fit with this bottom bracket with the chain rings hitting the chain stay.

Just wondering if its worth my while getting my spare torus frame out of the attic and finding out how much it'll cost to ship to the UK.......... ;)

had a good day. took my frame with removal tool into work.
clamped removal tool in vice started to turn frame in tool and the vice started turning.
used 2nd vice and had success, the bottom bracket is now free from the frame.
a good lesson in greasing threads before installing bottom bracket in futrue.
the bottom bracket is a un-71 sealed cartridge. i think that makes it an xt bottom bracket.
it is still buttery smooth. but too small for my needs.
i will be spending the next few days getting this bike running.

:cool: Glad you got the bb out, bet thats a big relief :)

Look forward to seeing it getting built up now

Mark

Re:

Finally finished building this bike. Had a little ride round the block and no major issues.
One thing that needs addressing is when you shift gear at the chain set, the mech slips back. Seems to be an issue with the xt shifter. Is there a way of tightening the thumbshifter to stop it slipping ?
Happy having this bike done.

Attachments

• IMG_1843.JPG
    IMG_1843.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 857
  • IMG_1842.JPG
    IMG_1842.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_1841.JPG
    IMG_1841.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_1840.JPG
    IMG_1840.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 857
Nice job. Looks realy good.
Not sure about the shifter issue I'm afriad. So can't really help. Sorry

I'm loving this build and those forks are just fantastic. I've a 93 Torus LX with standard steel forks that I'm slowly putting my mark on (and a few DynaTechs, all but one in bits, the working one with steel UGLI's).

I'd love a pair of Trimnell/Xlite forks for (at least) one of my herd. If you do get the stems reproduced, how hard would it be to get the legs reproduced? I'd be very interested.

Cheers

James

Back