Raleigh Torus.

All stripped down now, ready to polish. There is an issue with one of the bottle cage holder bolts spinning in the hole.
But it came apart quite well.

I had a Torus STX from new, purchased from Evans in Croydon cheaply as it was old stock, and within two weeks of ownership I had the same problem. The bike went to Chas Roberts to have that fixed with a new insert.

One of the few bikes I regret selling. :facepalm:

Re: Re:

marc two tone":35ndamhm said:
Whip that bottom bracket out, Jeff. I'm intrigued by it, good quality or LP 30. :)
Sorry Marc, this is one stubborn bottom bracket.
It will have to stay in for now.

Re:

Second request / comment.

It seems those stem things were a liability anyway,so, to save grief, could you use 2 identical ahead stems? Although I don't know of the outer diameter of those fork legs. Something cnc' d anyway like X lite or Fred salmon.

Cheers.

Re:

Had some time today so put the fork back on, I love the simplicity of these forks.
The bottom bracket is well and truly stuck in there but it does run very smooth & free so it will have to stay in for now.
Nearly all of the old xt stuff won't be being re used.
So I'm using my favourite xt thumbshifters and I have also found a new home for my trusty brooks saddle.
I would like matching hubs and rims, but for now I'm quite happy with this.

Attachments

• IMG_1822.JPG
    IMG_1822.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 814
  • IMG_1821.JPG
    IMG_1821.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 814

videojetman":v0ghjtge said:
marc two tone":v0ghjtge said:
Whip that bottom bracket out, Jeff. I'm intrigued by it, good quality or LP 30. :)
Sorry Marc, this is one stubborn bottom bracket.
It will have to stay in for now.

Hope its not seized :? still got a stuck post in my other Raleigh Ti frame :facepalm:

Mark

marc two tone":2z7gyles said:
Second request / comment.

It seems those stem things were a liability anyway,so, to save grief, could you use 2 identical ahead stems? Although I don't know of the outer diameter of those fork legs. Something cnc' d anyway like X lite or Fred salmon.

Cheers.
I'm sure that would be a good idea, but changing the stems would take away the originality of this build and I actually really like the look of them.
But I will be looking into having new stems produced or even better if someone had a spare original, but I think I have more chance of a lottery win than finding a spare original.
Jeff.

Just sprayed penetrating fluid down the seat tube. I'm hoping when I get up later I will have success removing the bottom bracket. Will update later.

If it is any help, the bottom bracket on my Torus frame (which is smilar to yours insofar as no cut outs on the rear dropouts) has a threaded sleeve of steel which the bb threads into. They did not thread the ti as far as I can work out. So it is likley to be steel on steel corrosion.

Gerard":3nzfebij said:
If it is any help, the bottom bracket on my Torus frame (which is smilar to yours insofar as no cut outs on the rear dropouts) has a threaded sleeve of steel which the bb threads into. They did not thread the ti as far as I can work out. So it is likley to be steel on steel corrosion.

Could have had stripped threads and a sleeve inserted, im sure they came with threaded bb shells :?

Mark

Back