Raleigh SBDU Team Panasonic 531 PRO

Midlife":bc6gd70z said:
Hi Jon

I did recall you had your own personal ID :) However it's more common to have the usual SB number / H number / size combo. I always wondered why some frames had the size and some didn't?

Shaun

Could you explain how the H numbers work please Shaun?

Midlife":10q7jhh7 said:
Hi Jon

I did recall you had your own personal ID :) However it's more common to have the usual SB number / H number / size combo. I always wondered why some frames had the size and some didn't?

Shaun

There's no definitive answer Shaun (that I found during my research) but many opinions, mostly uninformed, on the subject. There is however anecdotal evidence to suggest frames were ordered speculatively (by shops) and built during quieter times with the size stamp (mine hasn't).

Ilkeston closed a long time ago (I was there 30 years ago!!!), and while some of the ex-employees are around, many aren't and memories fade.

My own frame is now in retirement on my study wall and I'm seeking to build a replica to ride!

Jon.

Hi John J

As far as I am aware an H plus a number stamped on the BB meant it was built to a specific customer order. The H number was repeated on the fork steerer without the H.

The Order Number near top left has been filled in as H........

Factory+order+sheet.jpg

Shaun

Most SBDU frames with an SB number have a size stamp - it is definitely rare to have an SB numbered frame that does not have the size marked. The only frames I've seen without the size stamp are actual team frames with the rider initial stampings.

The H reference indicated a frame with some kind of feature that wasn't 'stock'. The highest H ref number I've seen is H844 - this is on a 1978/79 frame. The size stamp on that frame is 58.4 - as the SBDU built in 0.5 increments, it is probably the 58.4 size that made this different and required the H ref.

I've not seen an H ref higher than that so far which means that frames that deviated from 'stock' simply went out of the unit with nothing more than the SB number - maybe the H ref was just kept as a notation for the build sheet?

Re:

Interesting OSK, mine only has a personal identifier - at my request. And I have seen quite a few frames without the size stamp.

Jon.

Thanks everyone. The frame is SB7602 which some on here will remember being in a sorry state before. I hope to bring it back to former glory with this build.

I am on the hunt for NOS or vgc Dura Ace 8 speed parts like chain set (180mm crank arms) as my parts are ok but hopefully i can find better. Also 13-26 DA cassette would be handy as well, if anyone has anything they would part with let me know.

Black stem is staying as i rather like it and i've not seen many using a black stem so makes it a bit different.

SB7602 is 1985-86 which is way after my time :)

I'm from the era when frames were measured in inches :)

When 753 came in there was a sniff of metric measurements :) Maybe the earlier SBDU frames were not stamped in their metric / cm size?

I worked in a Raleigh 5 star dealership and I wish I had written down all the stuff I came across, My memory is pretty flakey from 35 plus years ago LOL.

180mm Cranks. Blimey :D

Shaun

My sb58 is stamped 62(cm) Shaun. Built early 75. And my recently acquired sb 8945 is stamped 58(cm)
Look forward to seeing your bike come together OnTheUp, great paint scheme and the dura ace components always look good.

Re:

Great to see you've started a build thread, Mike! It was great fun building the bike with you and on a sunny day too, no less!! It should be a real belter once it's done and can't wait to thrash you for the Blair 30mph signs once you get your road legs up and running! :twisted:

Who is it on this forum who owns the chrome version of Mike's frame? It was the same one that was on the back of the Raleigh Custom Frame Catalogue back then . . .

:cool:

Back