Raleigh reynolds record 501

watchorn_luke

Dirt Disciple
HI all im new here so thought id join to get some help! :D
I just picked up a Raleigh reynolds record 501 and it rides so good. Never had a bike like this before only mtb's. As well as it rides it need some work and i have ordered some parts for it keeping in its old style but i need a new 6 speed cassette as the original is a bit worn. I have no idea where to look for one and how to tell if it will fit my older bike? any help guys?
cheers luke

Hi Luke

If it's 6 speed on a road bike it's probably going to be a screw on freewheel block you have and not a cassette. Are your gears indexed or friction? If it's a block it will have some sort of removal tool. Shimano blocks will probably have splines so you will need a longer splined version of a Shimano cassette tool. Other common blocks may need something like a 2 or 4 prong removal tool or a tool with even more narrow splines than Shimano.

Put the removal tool in, fasten it with the QR or nut and remove with a large spanner/vice.

If you have some top end parts on there then you may have an old 6 speed cassette. If you have then the smallest gear will unscrew to release the rest of the cassette - 2 chain whips needed.

Finding a replacement 6 speed block and chain that fits your hub should be quite easy, not so with a 6 speed cassette.

HI mate, well the lever on the right on the tube is indexted if that means it clicks into place? and the left lever is friction based the guy told me.
Iv ordered new brakes, grip tape, hoods and a seat so nothing that needs to mess with the gears yet lol
Thanks for explaining what tools i need and all that will go to my mates who has the tools and try it out.
if all els fails il just take it off and take it to the old bike shop whos been around for like 40years i bet he will set me straight.
just need to give the bike a good clean and take some rust off!
p.s just come back from the police station and recovered my stolen bike! Rather happy :D
thanks for the links aswell mate
Thanks for all the help

Back