Raleigh Record Ace

The Record Ace that I use has a nice green/honey saddlebag, Brooks saddle and SPd pedals although I am considering going back to using traditional cycling shoes as I have never actually liked clipless, despite best efforts they always feel uncomfortable at some point, gentle riding on classic bikes is great therapy :)

I have never tried clipless, I know I can't really have an opinion on it as I've never tried it but I really don't like the idea. I don't even get on with toe clips. I just like to take it steady with trainers and bog standard cage pedals.

I was thinking of getting a brooks saddle, haven't really found a saddle I like yet as I've only been riding a couple of years now. But I thought maybe get a brooks and move it around to which ever bike i use if I find it comfy.

Could just put the saddle of the ace on a shelf and refit if ever I sell it on. May do the same with the pedals.

Do you happen to know what is the max tyre width one of these could take? The originals are 700x25 but again these are easily restored to original when necessary.

Here are pics of 2 of them, I have one on loan to a local museum and on in for re-spray, also a Raleigh Gran Sport frame being modified and re-sprayed in Record Ace colours by Rick Powell, former Carlton and Raleigh special products frame builder and head painter, then I hope to get them all together for a photo shoot, unfortunately I cannot upload on here due to file size.

http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/2-x-1983- ... ce-12-2386

Very nice, they have a lovely look.

It sounds like you have a useful contact there for the respray job! :)

I notice in your sig you have an 87 Galaxy, I'm picking up a frame soon that's a little beat up and missing a few bits. I think that may be late '80s also, but will be doing that one to suit myself as that will be my main bike hopefully. Just going to do it up as and when I can afford bits.

yes, the Galaxy is a great bike, these quality steel frames go forever and repairable, keep any original bits, you can restore them to original in years to come.........

Back