Aligning rear mech hanger on a Raleigh Criterion/Record project.

Boredman

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I’m restoring an old rusty 501 Raleigh Criterion 1987 but can’t get it to shift correctly. I think the hanger is misaligned even after I’ve reset it.

I’ve taken off the 6 speed running gear and fitted a 10 speed group set from a spare bike. I’ve jigged the rear triangle straight and the dropouts are parallel. The previous owner had forced a 130mm spaced wheel into the rear and the dropouts were misaligned. I’ve used a derailleur hanger tool but still can’t get the shifting right. I put the same parts on another bike and it shifted fine. Not sure where to go next? LBS might be the only option!

Thanks for any advice and sorry if posted in the wrong area.

IMG_1217.jpeg

All you can really do is check it, double check, tweak, eyeball, maybe get a second set of eyes to look at it etc. If the hanger tool you’ve got is one of those bars that screws on, that’s really the best you can get. Maybe try putting a square on it so you get a longer visual reference.

Three or four posts down... DIY derailleur hanger alignment tools.

Have you checked:
B-tension screw? You must set that first before you adjust cable tension
Cable tension: Somewhere the cable tension is changing ever so slightly to result in miss-shifting. Could be any parts between the shifter to the derailleur.
Chain line: Is the chain alignment correct between the cassette and the middle chain ring?
Chain: Are you using the right amount of chain links?

All you can really do is check it, double check, tweak, eyeball, maybe get a second set of eyes to look at it etc. If the hanger tool you’ve got is one of those bars that screws on, that’s really the best you can get. Maybe try putting a square on it so you get a longer visual reference.
I’ve tried two hanger alignment tools but still have a miss shift. Giving it a break to work on two other bikes. Will get a second opinion though!

Three or four posts down... DIY derailleur hanger alignment tools.

Have you checked:
B-tension screw? You must set that first before you adjust cable tension
Cable tension: Somewhere the cable tension is changing ever so slightly to result in miss-shifting. Could be any parts between the shifter to the derailleur.
Chain line: Is the chain alignment correct between the cassette and the middle chain ring?
Chain: Are you using the right amount of chain links?
I’ll go through that list on the weekend.

Back