Re:

A few more pictures...

IMG_0428_zpsl3dep354.jpg

IMG_0426_zps9f7imjz4.jpg

IMG_0424_zps7hd1mrq1.jpg

IMG_0423_zpsdj4z7dly.jpg

IMG_0422_zps9edvgpyp.jpg

IMG_0417_zpsnjkoyj6w.jpg

Nice bike. Just going back a bit to your picture of the original forks with 4 digit serial number. They look like they have come from an Ilkeston 753 bike. The serial number dates the forks to 1979/80. The inner fork blade inserts at the crown, Campagnolo drilled dropouts.

Cheers
Neil

Re:

Thanks, Neil!

The fork with the drilled Campagnolo dropouts was in the bike when I got it in 1989. I knew at the time it wasn't the original from the bike, maybe the original was damaged or something, I don't know. As I said earlier, it was really a collection of somebody's leftovers but it suited me at that time. The fork has now been added to my growing collection of "old bits" in the workshop, who knows, maybe I'll find a frame to put them on!

Otherwise, I'm very pleased pleased with this one and it rides well. The nature of the terrain in Chianti meant a bit of descending, some of it quite fast if you wanted to let the bike run and it felt really good. Based on recent guidance from a bike fitter, I used a longer stem than I would have chosen myself which, in turn, has brought me back to lengthening the stem on my regular ride.

La bici, la vita! ;-)

R

Beautiful, thanks for sharing this it's inspirational and a proper bike made to be ridden not hung up.

Re:

Cheers, Ibbz!

I'd be flattered to think the whole thing might be considered inspirational in any way, but if it floats somebody's boat, as others posts on here have floated mine, then that's all to the good! I've had it for years and the first objective of the rebuild was to get it out on the road again. Of course, where I live, I have the luxury of being able to choose to stay home if the weather is bad and therefore not to have to worry too much about cleaning it. However, if I can get an entry for L'Eroica again next year, or any other similar event within reach, then the rain, or the dirt will be no obstacle...!

I'll have a couple more pics in due course.

La bici, la vita! :)

Back