Raleigh Panasonic 531c Replica

Not at all

As you can see from my signature, I've got a real soft spot for 'old' Raleigh's!

Re:

This is the fork that was in the frame when I bought it in 1989. It's clearly not an original. However, to my surprise, when I pulled it out last week after nearly 25 years hanging in the garage, I discovered it has Campagnolo dropouts and some interesting details on the crown so, presumably, it isn't some "gun-barrel" but may be some proprietary tubing of quality.

The number would presumably have been the last four digits of the frame number of whatever frame to which the fork was originally fitted.

Anyway, anybody any ideas as to what the provenance of the fork might be.....?

IMG_25271_zpscc9619ec.jpg

IMG_25281_zps5ab43bd3.jpg

IMG_25341_zpsb7a3b0b6.jpg

IMG_25321_zps33c2e324.jpg

IMG_25301_zpsc3e2ee69.jpg

IMG_25291_zpscdb80e8d.jpg

They don't look like Raleigh forks, but with campag drop outs they are unlikely to be gas pipe!

I think I'm right in saying that only Raleigh SBDU frames and forks are serial number matched (well, from the Nottingham stable anyway) but maybe someone knows what the number on these relates to?

Has the frame been painted now?

Re:

It started out as an exercise in simply cleaning the bike up and returning it to serviceability but ended up getting repainted (two "and a half times" but that's a different story) and fitted with a nearly complete set of Dura Ace 7400 series kit, almost all of which is from 1985.

Oh, and the original objective, the thought that got the whole thing going in the first place, i.e., riding L'Eroica in Chianti, finally happened a couple of weeks ago. It rained a lot, the bike got filthy and I had the devil's own trouble cleaning it afterwards but I didn't build it to look at it, I built it to ride it! I did the "short" 75km route but, after a surgeon telling me a I needed a new knee 18 months previously, me and my original old knee were quite happy with that, in the circumstances.

It's not detail perfect by any means, Mr. W will no doubt spot one or two errors in the livery but it's staying the way it is for now! Oh, and I did manage to find an original fork along the way on eBay too!

While I got Dura Ace hubs (new in the box) for it with a freewheel rear and fitted them with Galli sprint rims and Vittoria tubulars, I replaced those with some other Shimano hubs and a pair of Mavic MA2 rims with Michelin Dynamic Classic tyres, 25C in deference to the gravel roads in Chianti. All worked a treat, nothing broke, nothing fell off other than the saddle tilting slightly forward at one point so I was happy with that too!

IMG_0415_zpsh1pnr5c7.jpg

This is the bike after a couple of short runs locally before heading to L'Eroica. Due to personal circumstances, it had sat on the bike stand in the workshop since last April, completely untouched until ten days before the event on October 4th.

IMG_0416_zpsnlhnibcy.jpg

Dura Ace chainset - I stayed historically correct with this and kept the 52/40 chainrings on it. However, I found I could easily have swapped them for something a bit more suited to my agining legs and the ups and downs of L'Eroica. I'll be wiser (or cuter) next time!

IMG_0420_zpsfvrgo4cf.jpg

It started off with some period white cloth tape but that got replaced with some non-adhesive plastic variety I found at the jumble in Gaiole the day before the event, much better job, should have taken all he had! ALso, the pedals are MKS intended for my tourer but the got diverted in the absence of finding something Dura Ace in good enough order - still searching.

IMG_0421_zpsam9z7uqd.jpg

Dur Ace calipers, levers and hoods came from three different sources on eBay. Hoods were new in the packaging, the rest was in good order.

IMG_0431_zpsdjzes6ut.jpg

Dressed for L'Eroica on black Mavic MA2s and Michelin tyres.

IMG_0453_zpsdbh8hdkx.jpg

Parked at a food stop in Radda-in-Chianti, covered in dried sand and grit from the gravel roads and the rain after the start. The old single speed belongs to one Luciano Berrutti, 72 this year, who still turns up every year to ride the event.

looks great - the Dura Ace 7400 group is lovely and will be going on whatever I build next. Did you find some original forks?

Re:

Yep, I like the 7400 a lot! I started looking out for Campagnnolo stuff but it was scarce, costly and more difficult to date, at least I thought so. Anyway, as it was a customer frame set, rather than a complete bike, I had some liberty as to what I put on it.

And yes, I found a fork. It was for a much taller frame, which probably explains why it was still laying around somewhere unused but I got that sorted later.

I've been out on it several times since Chianti and I've changed the pedals to Look clip less just so I can use the same shoes, as well as winter overshoes/warmers, on both the Raleigh and my other bike.

Back