Raleigh Panasonic 531 / 753 help needed.

Interesting, most of the Raleigh bikes I have done whether it be a racer or bmx have had the decals over the top on the clear coat rather than on top. I know on the team colour burners that I have done the red and yellow stripes were decals.

There is one on ebay at the moment and in the pics it looks like the stripes are decals as you can just see the out line of the blue paint under the red.

Re:

The 'low end' stuff tended to be stickers rather than what were used on the hand built bikes.

The ones on my Corsa are more like water slide transfers than decals, with clear coat over the top.

Thanks MrW. I'll have to see what the decals out there are like and go from there. Got to try and win the bike 1st. If I can do that then I can get the project started. Will be the same as your corsa using all shimano 105 golden arrow stuff but on a 531 frame.

Maca":35y8qjej said:
Which one do you have Ian ? My painter would be able to paint them on if needed, we could just use the decals a templates.
This type mate! Had it from brand new back in the 80's, holds very dear to my heart this machine does.

Attachments

• 10251939_10203858461449835_21329182196528640_n.jpg
    10251939_10203858461449835_21329182196528640_n.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 470
Here for 'proper' decals: http://www.hlloydcycles.com/pdflistlatest.pdf

The ones on eBay and the like tend to be 'stickers', i.e. printed on clear and go on after paint.

Nick from Lloyds ones go on after paint, but before clear lacquer generally.

edit, having just looked at H Lloyds, Nick only supplies the Raleigh branding, so you'll need your painter to do the Red and Yellow..

I'm going to have another look at the Corsa tomorrow, as this has got me thinking now!

Nice bike Ian, and you say ur stripes are painted on ? If you guys can double check that would be great.

As I say all the raleighs I have done (inc a SBU one) up to now have the decals on top the clear even if is just the word Raleigh. The ones I can see doing a goodle image search look the same to, blue painted and stripes are decals (hard to tell on some thou, so could be painted). Then the Raleigh words stuck over the top.

if you can check and see if there is a edge to either the stripes or words that would be great.

Heres a link to one on ebay which seems to be decals on top

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141527683048? ... EBIDX%3AIT

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Excuse the poor pictures...

The stripes on my Team Corsa are definitely not painted:

They are, however, like waterslide transfers rather than decals/stickers (i.e. you cannot feel the edges, and they are not printed onto one piece of clear film)

Just realised I have some 'standby' decals stored away 'just in case': (bough these on eBay many many years ago, they are NOS, but I only have the seat tube, top tube and Raleigh Heron headbage, and not the down tube ones)

Pretty sure they came from 'Decals2000' on eBay, who happen to be H Lloyd cycles!

If you look carefully at the 2nd photo you can see that they have been printed onto Fasson FasRoll S-635 which I guess is the grade of the film used. In this case it's micron's thick, and also the word Raleigh has been cut around so there won't be excessive clear film when applied.

Wicked thanks MrW so looks like my best option will be to go with the decals (where the stripes are separate to the words) put them on after paint and then clear over the top.

Will have to get two sets and use one set as masks for the blue to white lines as none of the repro decals cover the join like the originals did (which certainly on the bmx ones were chrome backed) and I hate seeing the blue under the red.

Looking at those decals you have I think I will be the set that's out there and depending what they are like maybe get my guy I use to do them again on thinner stuff.

You use Del don't you?

I do too, and I'm happy to scan and email the 2 I have to him for you, although they have masking on the front to allow them to be placed, and then that is peeled away...

and looking at my Corsa, these decals are applied after clear coat, hence the 'chip' on the red on my first posted picture.

If you can get your painter to finish it with a nice clean blue to white line, you should be able to get away with one set of red/yellow stripes. (if you look closely at any Raleigh bikes with this scheme you can see a slight bit of bleed from the blue when the red is applied over the top)

Also, note on my second posted pic how far the blue actually is painted on the down tube, and that the red stripe covers quite a bit of it...

Back