Pronunciation of Mountain Bike Manufacturers

one-eyed_jim":hcdhmylv said:
orange71":hcdhmylv said:
Sugino is definitely soo-jee-no as the 'i' after the 'g' softens it.
Not in Japanese. It depends if they're using a standard transliteration, or trying to westernize it. Ji and Gi are different characters, and Gi is a hard G.

From my work dealings with the Japanese anything with a G in it causes many headaches. My surname for example causes quite a few issues and my christian name doesn't translate well either.

What would be funny would be a few sound files of everyone saying their versions particularly those with stronger accents ;)

I always had it in my mind that Bontrager was pronouced in a very french style, a soft 'bon' and accent on the 'trager' part. A friend who met Keith B told me this many years ago.

To add to the list:

Parkpre - Park pre (as in prepare not prey)

REKIBorter":iks9j0y3 said:
Vraydestine
Yeah, but how do you pronounce "Vraydestine"? :?

I used to work with a Dutch woman who used to laugh at my mispronunciations, but when she said it there was nothing I could identify phonetically.

Syncros I've heard both flavours of...

Sin-Cross
Sin-kroze

I've always used the former....correct or not I dunno :roll:

orange71":1s8mvphm said:
Wytze":1s8mvphm said:
well, after the 'ch' in marzocchi is an 'i', so......? :D

but I am not 100% sure, any italians here??

the 'i' is after an 'h' which makes the 'c' hard...if you follow me! :LOL:

trust me... I'm right on this one!
Completely agree, in Italian 'chi' and 'che' are hard, 'ci' and 'ce' are soft...

I've always been taught to pronounce 'Sachs' as SASH, as in 'Sachs Huret' pronounced SASH HOORAY

And 'Ringlé' surely should be RINGLAY due to the acute accent on the E...

Will Palmer":lc6q3ni2 said:
I've always been taught to pronounce 'Sachs' as SASH, as in 'Sachs Huret' pronounced SASH HOORAY
Yeah, but that's just how the French mispronounce it, and the French are just as bad as the British at bungling foreign pronunciations. And of course you don't pronounce the H of Huret.

Will Palmer":lc6q3ni2 said:
And 'Ringlé' surely should be RINGLAY due to the acute accent on the E...
Indeed.

pronunciation

Will Palmer-you must remember that SACHS was originally a GERMAN company-not a French one-thus the German Pronunciation. Neill- Synchros-as in synchronicity.

Back