Project Blackstar - The remake!

Barneyballbags":3nv4dfsm said:
neebsta":3nv4dfsm said:
Get a Paul Components Melvin SS Tensioner. Much better than a Rohloff.....

Ok then - are you going to lend me the money?! ;)

If you're going to go down that route you may as well get one of these at a fraction of the price...

8728-23458-main-sturmeychaintensioner-328.jpg

We_are_Stevo":e6aym9yh said:
Barneyballbags":e6aym9yh said:
neebsta":e6aym9yh said:

If you're going to go down that route you may as well get one of these at a fraction of the price...

Sturmey archer or Pauls, no debate required. One you hang off a Raleigh, one you don't!

I would go for a 4 jeri, reasonably priced ,robust with a massive spring :D

(pictured at front with the holes in )

Looks like your tensioner may just need aligning properly as the chain is not in line.

Attachments

• IMG_1710.jpg
    IMG_1710.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 655
neebsta":jy63eri0 said:
We_are_Stevo":jy63eri0 said:
Barneyballbags":jy63eri0 said:
neebsta":jy63eri0 said:

Sturmey archer or Pauls, no debate required. One you hang off a Raleigh, one you don't!

Looking at the construction of the Pauls I'd rather buy the SA and fit some fancy alloy jockeys with ceramic bearings - and I say that as a Pauls thumbies user... ;)

We_are_Stevo":2kh41hxb said:
neebsta":2kh41hxb said:
We_are_Stevo":2kh41hxb said:
Barneyballbags":2kh41hxb said:
neebsta":2kh41hxb said:

Looking at the construction of the Pauls I'd rather buy the SA and fit some fancy alloy jockeys with ceramic bearings - and I say that as a Pauls thumbies user... ;)

Connoisseur
:LOL: :LOL:

The Pauls unit has enough float to use thumbs and a 2 or 3 chainring set up on the front (see doctor-bonds Team Specialized http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... tumpjumper) he has a 3x1 ring set up. Plus it looks nice, and is beautifully constructed. The Sturmey isn't and doesn't. But, if you want to bolt a Sturmey to your bike, you go for it. Different strokes for different folks. ;)

Take a look at my cro-mega SS thread here. I originally went with a chainset type tensioner, the problem being they do move when hit by a rock, etc and you also can't get the rear wheel in the event of a puncture. In the end I went with a shimano alfine tensioner which does the job perfectly and allows removal of the rear wheel.

2010_0616fs0020.jpg

Btw, I also tried it with both types, sadly despite the nice looks the chain really stiffened up with the extra drag.

2010_0317bikes0043.jpg

Well, "SS Blackstar" is now (almost) fully operational. Just the Rohloff tensioner and cables to go on.

One thing I will say - It's surprisingly light considering Cro Megas aren't known for their weight-weenie-ness! It's a smidge under 26lb. Still not a featherweight, but a good 3-4lb lighter than the geared one which I had earlier in the year.

And the wheels look (and sound) the absolute business. I think I'll keep the decals as they are (I was debating whether or not to get some original fluro ones).

The pink CK hubs add just enough of a splash of colour and, in a way, the lack of colour on the frame and components highlight the wheels even more.

Pics to follow later on once I've added the finishing touches and gone over it with a bit of polish ;)

Back