Project Blackstar - The remake!

letmetalktomark":32465vkc said:
I like the look.

I would be very surprised that if in practice that setup didn't slip :?

I thought that e stays were a wee bit flexy around the BB and out back - certainly the Haro Extreme I briefly had was.

I agree with Steveo that a beefier tensioner be used - I picked up my Rohloff for just over £20.

Failing that a BB mounted roller would look great and keep the simple lines of the e stay - Something like this ........

product_360055.jpg

I used one for a while with great results.

Just my thoughts at the end of the day though ;)

The Cro Megas aren't known for their flex ;)

The on-one tensioner is very rigid in practice and the chain is nice and tight (even tighter when I put the 34t chainring on). I'll see how it goes for now, but those Rohloff's do look nice :)

The other option to consider if I'm going to be looking at spending £60 quid on a tensioner would be to get an eccentric bottom bracket instead, provided there was one which fitted a regular sized BB opening.

Would that work and which ones are available with a square taper?

I think the BB option is still only for modern cranks.

Strangle I found my surly tensioner to slip om mt Saracen Kili due to frame flew - perhaps you will be lucky ;)

Still a BB mounted one would be cleaner looking ........

Reading up on the Rohloff tensioner, it doesn't look as if it will work with my setup, as you can't adjust the position of the jockey wheels (on the shorter DH version at least). This would mean that I'd have to run the rear sprocket on the outside, which would mess up the chainline :(

I'm still considering whether or not to run a short cage rear mech instead of a tensioner. It would make sense, as a rear mech is what is supposed to be on there in the first place (so it looks right), and it can easily be made to work with the single cog by clamping a small section of cable in it, once the mech is pushed into the correct position. You'd even be able to fine-tune it so that it sits perfectly under the sprocket.

Wish I hadn't sold my M735 one now - that would have been perfect! :roll:

The Rohloff does has a reasonable degree of adjustability as spacers are provided - i managed to run my front ring in the inner position and outer with no issue.

letmetalktomark":2fhiymyp said:
The Rohloff does has a reasonable degree of adjustability as spacers are provided - i managed to run my front ring in the inner position and outer with no issue.

Good to know, thanks :)

Just snuck home at lunchtime to put Blackstar's new daps on.

The Ritchey Z Max remakes look really really nice. I went for the all singing all dancing kevlar ones. Thanks to Jeff @ First Flight Bikes for sending them across the pond :)

They were an absolute horror to fit though. My poor thumbs! I actually managed to put the front tyre on the wrong way round (brainfart), but rather than subject my thumbs to more torture, I swapped the wheel around so that it's facing the other way. Much easier for now ;)

Just the brake levers and a new seatpost to go now, then she'll be ready to ride :cool:

We_are_Stevo":118ovrfk said:
I'm not a great s/s fan but if I were I'd be inclined to fit a somewhat beefier chain tensioner than that??

Something like this...

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rohloff-dh-c ... rc=froogle

...would surely be more in keeping with the quality wheelset you've fitted??

Well, I've taken your advice!

'letmetalktomark' pointed one out which was up for sale on Singletrackworld. I've emailed the seller so hopefully it'll be gracing Blackstar's back end sometime next week :)

Only £25 too ;)

Back