Peugeot PY10-FC- THE dream bike of my youth...

Re:

Making some progress now, starting to look like a bike now! Wheels back from LBS (Griffs Cycle Lab in Crowthorne, Berks - they have done a top job). Bike stickered up and starting to look like the finished article..

Plenty still to do. Sort out front mech. Get some correct colour lever hoods. Sort handlebar tape. Glue on tyres. Cable it up. Freewheel is I think kippered which is annoying so will need to hunt for a different one. Stay tuned..

Re:

Looking very tasty!

Nice to know there are others building a Peugeot this w/e - will post some photos of my progress bit later.

Great job.

Re:

Love this thread!

The dilemma, the research, the pondering.....FANTASTIC!

Thanks for sharing and can't wait for it to blossom!

I have memories of being stuck on a mountain side (several actually, for HOURS) watching the Tour in the mid seventies to early eighties. The Peugeot teams always stood out. I was a young boy but remember snippets with clarity.

Brings back some memories.

Sand_Dune

Re:

Hi sand_dune, many thanks for the kind words and appreciation. It is the old memories of those seminal moments that inspired a lot of us. I was rooting around in my cupboard and found some photos of when I got on the train to London to watch my heroes in the final round of the Kellogg's Criterium series with you guessed it, some photos of Robert Millar (riding for Fagor). I will scan some of these and add them to the thread.

I am now on to some details, the end is in sight!

Lovely lovely build. Really nice and rare frame being done justice.

I do think it's a bit of a shame to loose the windmill decals, given the frame's history, but it's your bike.

A+ :)

Re:

Hi stick legs, many thanks for the kind words. I have actually kept the small windmill bike shop stickers on it which are at the top of the seat tube but the original downtube stickers were pretty far gone. Not withstanding I did e-mail the bike shop (it is still there!) and they never responded...

I am homing in on the finish line now.... One thing that I had been looking for ages were some correct gum coloured hoods for the brake levers. At one point actually pondered buying another set just for the hoods but common sense prevailed (not something I can claim for other items bought for this build LOL).

I don't know if any use to anyone, but I discovered there is (was) a company called Rustines in France making gum hoods for Campag and Mafac brakes that looked like they would fit the bill so I gave them a go..

They aren't quite right but they will look fine once brakes are finally cabled up.
Before..

After..

Re:

I relented in the end and tracked down some white Benotto handlebar tape.

As always in the world of retrobiking things can still surprise. First was the instructions... use a naked flame to make the tape sticky at the end (!?). Which I ignored.

And also the bar ends instead of pressing into the bars actually press fit outside of the end of the bars...

In the end I took the decision that the bar ends look better taped over rather than fit them over the tape. Feel free to correct me if I have got it wrong!

That is a real beauty of a build.
Your attention to detail and eye for getting it looking just right has ended with a really beautiful Peugeot.
Hopefully the ride will live up to your expectations, I am sure it will exceed them but look forward to hearing how you get on.

Jamie

Back