Peugeot PY10-FC- THE dream bike of my youth...

Love a pug myself. Although mass produced did turn out some solid quality bikes. My 653 z team is my favourite bike. I even bought the kit :cool:

Re:

Hi Ret Spotter, the late 70,s early 80's Peugeot kit is only 2nd to the La Vie Claire 'Mondrian' is the coolest cycle kit on the planet.

So following some extensive research (Google and a bottle of red wine actually), I found that the Meulenreek livery originates from a bike shop in the Netherlands, at a place called Geffen(?). Started by a chap called Ade Van de Meulenreek. There is very little on the web, and I found no reference to any trade team or photos so I can only assume they were a well funded bike shop with a posh local amateur team.

In my hunt for info, I did come across a fascinating blog spot from a chap called Fabio Farelli. Well worth a look. I can't speak or read Dutch, but he is a real eroica officianado with some great photos. He had a photo of the bike shop with the same shop front signage as one of the stickers on my frame.

It doesn't look like they were a significant team so I will re- sticker the frame in original Peugeot livery, but keep the smaller shop stickers on it so it keeps it's history.

So now the parts hunt starts.....

If any one has some decent Maillard Professional 700 hubs, or Weinmann Carrera 400 brakes please let me know!

Re:

Over past weeks, I have started cleaning up the old thing. In the end I decided not to keep the 'Meulenreek' livery so I have removed those decals, though I have kept the bike shop sticker at the top of the top tube so it keeps some history.

in the meantime I started my parts hunt. The research and hunting for bits is the best bit! it is nice to be looking for something different to the usual Campag/Shimano parts. First was to look for a Stronglight A9 headset, but it came to light that the steerer on the forks had been cut too short so it had a very short stack height for the headset. The frame/forks came with a Shimano 105 headset which is a lot more compact than the aforementioned A9. After some more 'googling' I found that a Tange Levin headset looked retro enough and was the right size. if I can find an A9 locknut, then hopefully only the eagle eyed will spot that it isn't original...

the other parcel that landed was a near mint pair of Weinmann Carrera 400 Calipers. these are rather smart and they are very well made, certainly up to Campag/Shimano standard IMHO.

They even have the original pads and holders with no wear so a result. I expect the pads will have all the stopping power of rubbing the rims with butter but originality rules...

Another exciting episode soon! :D

Re: Re:

kermitgreenkona88":p5nzy8e2 said:
Found the original advert :cool: :cool: :cool:

The chap holding the FDC above his head on the earlier photo is Pascal Simon, one of Peugeot`s longest serving riders, in fact right up to the end when Peugeot pulled the plug on their own trade team and co sponsored the Z in 1987. He had ridden with them since 1979.Here is another pic of him.

Attachments

• 1985 Simon.jpg
    1985 Simon.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 966
I remember reading an article in Cycling(?) magazine reviewing this bike.....I remember the reviewer saying that the cable guides were glued on and came off....and that there were band-on bottle cages.
If you're after a non-shimano/campag groupset.....I'm looking at selling my Peugeot/Vitus 979 bike with mavic ssc groupset (it was a toss-up between that or the 753 Peugeot)

Back