People in the US enjoy the language from abroad as well:

ring
mobile
boot
bonnet
fags
chips
mech

Just think - if we were all the same, the world is potentially quite boring and we wouldn't be able to poke fun at one another :mrgreen:

Re:

English is a language that has morphed and evolved over the centuries, shall continue to do so, and be al the better for it

Stroller instead of pushchair

and all this f***ing high fiving after everything

And SUV - AGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Re: Re:

unkleGsif":1gdyyssg said:
English is a language that has morphed and evolved over the centuries, shall continue to do so, and be al the better for it

Agree. The only one that grates my ear is ' ok, you do the math'

Should at least be maths or calculations. It's a global village now, with social media language is changing faster than ever. I'm a fan of urban slang, it cracks me up :LOL: Sometimes it's nice to flip a switch and go full on MBA speak too.

Re: Re:

M-Power":hkevxbqy said:
unkleGsif":hkevxbqy said:

Agree. The only one that grates my ear is ' ok, you do the math'

Should at least be maths or calculations. It's a global village now, with social media language is changing faster than ever. I'm a fan of urban slang, it cracks me up :LOL: Sometimes it's nice to flip a switch and go full on MBA speak too.

I think there is a contrast between stuff like urban slang and the sort of dismal American management-speak that is creeping into our language.

The former is indeed entertaining and expresses a certain creativity with the language.

It's hard to see how teeth-grinding Americanisms like 'ball park figure', 'leverage' or 'synergy' contribute to the cultural advancement of humanity.

Re:

Cookie-its a f*ckin biscuit
Cupcake-its a f*ckin bun
What equally gets me is the substitution of "d" for "t" eg "twidder,keddle"etc.Closer to home I still grimace when I hear/read "sort after" "an historic" "2 apple`s" etc......

Back