Panniers or bike bags for touring ????

Bikepacking bags seem very fashionable at present. As I see it they are for off-roading especially on bikes with discs, fatbikes, full sussers etc where conventional racks are problematic to fit. I tihnk the handling argument is a bit of a red herring - tourers need steadier handling and the only issue is if panniers are too far back at the rear or too heavy on the front. There are a few American bikes designed for front panniers only, why this is seen as a good idea is beyond me.

I don't see a significant advantage for a decent touring bike, and the frame bags then create a knock-on problem of where to put bottles.
If you are touring on singletrack I would consider bike packs, otherwise if you have rack eyes, use panniers.

An overlooked alternative is a Carradice saddlebag - I can get all the stuff for a week's hotel touring into one plus a barbag.

If you're touring off road I'd strongly suggest a trailer. Heavy panniers plus off road abuse = high chance of buggered wheels IMO. Plus the bike will handle better with a trailer versus panniers.

I've used a Bob Yak: it's lower than panniers and tends to get stuck against offroad obstacles on narrow sections.
I've ridden the C2C and SDW with panniers and had no trouble with wheels.

Re:

I've never really taken any notice of "the weight thing" when it comes to luggage as the rider is the biggest weight consideration.

I have tended to vary, depending on the type of touring your doing. If I am B & B sleeping when touring then obviously all I really need is clothes and so panniers work well with a bar bag for important stuff. If camping then the same set up but the addition of a dry bag/sack for the tent and sleeping bag on the top of the rear rack.

The terrain is also an issue but most touring seems to be tarmac or hard packed lanes etc but go off road in boggy areas then obviously as light as possible is best but again, in all of these, rider weight is more variable than luggage weight.

It's down to you really, your bike and the kind of tour you intend/hope to do.

Re:

Thanks for the input everyone.

I already have the bike for the touring, a new Marin Fourcorners, steel with rack mounts front and rear. Have fitted some full length mudguards already. I was favouring some pannier just while I was searching and the internet I saw bikepacking bags.

Just had a look at the Four Corners. Looks like a handy tourer, especially as they have gone to the trouble of low-rider mounts on the fork and both rack and mudguard bolt holes at the rear.

hamster":2rwe6823 said:
Just had a look at the Four Corners. Looks like a handy tourer, especially as they have gone to the trouble of low-rider mounts on the fork and both rack and mudguard bolt holes at the rear.

Thanks, it has been getting some good reviews. Only ridden It for a few miles, its quick enough on tarmac and good on gravel paths/bridleways not awesome as it a compromise bike. Looks like Marins of old too :cool:

The only fault I can find is that the 30T granny ring is a bit on the brutal side, a 24 or 26T would make laden climbs rather more pleasant. Still that's a swap for £10 only. 50:11 (127") is a bit ambitious for a top gear on a tourer too!

And the paint job is lovely..definitely got their mojo back. Do you have the Sora one or the snazzy 1x version?

Re:

Agree with the gearing, its going to be a struggle fully laden, I shall see how it goes and make some changes.

I have gone for the Sora one :)

Good choice! The other frame would be very nice unladen but too whippy for a loaded tourer I suspect. Two chainrings (24T and 46T) from Ribble (total cost £20) will sort out the gearing!

Back