For Sale Ernie Clements 58cm Hanbuilt Touring bike, Columbus Cromor tubing Nitto, Simplex, Shimano Parts

vinnn

Retro Newbie
Ernie Clements 58cm lightweight tourer.

An incredibly rare late 90s/early 00's Clements tourer with fluted Columbus Cromor tubing, this tubeset was only briefly made and even less common in the UK than Europe. The bike was built bespoke for the previous owner in Ernie's shop and (visibly) has had limited use, retaining many of the original parts also in great condition.

I recently converted it from flat to drop bar so the bike has brand new Nitto Bars and stem along with new Brake levers cables and housing all over.

Other additions include Simplex SLJ friction shifters (considered by many to be the best on the market, still!) which shift nicely with no slippage.

I also added in a very lightweight Shimano Deore DX chainset and matching front mech, currently set up as double but I do have the granny ring if wanted. Lastly, I added the classic Flite titanium saddle and Fairweather cyclocross tyres to better suit its purpose as a ligthweight tourer, it has clearance for anything up to 700x38c though.

Also not pictured are a set of lovely and light stainless steel Gilles Berthoud mudguards as well as a rear pannier rack.

Full spec as follows:
Frame: Clements 58cm Touring frame, Coulmbus Cromor Fluted tubing
Bars/Stem: Nitto Noodle 40cm/Nitto 110mm Quill stem
Brakes: Shimano R400 Levers/Deore LX Cantilevers
Wheelset: Shimano exage FH/HB-RM50 Hubs/ Rigida Laser Rims
Gears: 7 Speed Shimano Hyperglide cassette 12-28, Simplex SLJ Downtube shifters
Chainset: Shimano Deore DX FC-MT60 48/38 175mm
Headset: Tange Levin
Tyres: Friweather For Traveler 700x32 clincher
Saddle: Flite Titanium
Seatpost: Kalloy Uno

Am looking for £650.

Am happy for collection form London but am open to courier at the buyer's expense, in the past this has been around £30-£50.

Attachments

• DSC07905 Large.jpeg
    DSC07905 Large.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC07907 Large.jpeg
    DSC07907 Large.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC07909 Large.jpeg
    DSC07909 Large.jpeg
    276.9 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC07911 Large.jpeg
    DSC07911 Large.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC07917 Large.jpeg
    DSC07917 Large.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 156
Bump!

Do you know who the builder was? Simoncini were imported by Clements and made his off the peg frames. They were/ are very well built (though the one I had and my missus rides now had a single coat paint job) and handle whatever you throw at them very well. So it could be that Ernie was taking measurements and sizing in the shop and having them hand-built in Italy, hence the super rare tubing.

Price is great either way and if I were bigger might buy it from you!

Back