Original Record Derailleur - Reassembly and set up.

I can get pretty big ranges on a modern Carbon record set up - 39/32 and 54/12.
Thats just on the standard medium cage.

It would change better with the wheel as far forward as possible, might need one link out. Just get the top roller averaging as close to the cogs as possible.

keithglos":22aelsby said:
It would change better with the wheel as far forward as possible, might need one link out. Just get the top roller averaging as close to the cogs as possible.

To try out the above, decided to use a modern SRAM PC850 chain I have. The poor period chain I've been using has been suffering enough in the shortening and lengthening department! Even cutting the chain to the same length as at present... what a difference! So quiet and smooth now. Think the chain is going to have to be where I concede period correctness to modernity with this bike.

The shifting is perfect now. Incredible difference. Only wee problem is it wants to skip the 15t cog and jump from 16t straight to the smallest 14t cog.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Daniel

Cheesedisease":3bxzr6a2 said:
The shifting is perfect now. Incredible difference. Only wee problem is it wants to skip the 15t cog and jump from 16t straight to the smallest 14t cog.

Daniel

Glad to hear you've sorted it at last. Don't worry about the chain, they wear out anyway do even if the bike was still in it's 'original' form the chain may well have been changed several times over the years.

The minor problem with the smaller sprockets is something I remember with these gears although it was generally moving from the smallest into the next (eg 13 to 14 or 14 to 15). Campag mechs seemed to have reluctance to move one sprocket especially on a straight through block. I would gently ease the lever back and back until it changed - to far! Must have lost minutes in time trials over the years thanks to this........................ :evil:

Thanks. I'm glad too. Lovely to have it running pleasantly. Can't wait to give it a good long test ride before I give it back to my dad.

Yeah, I found myself doing exactly that, naturally overshifting a little and shifting back. And you're right, it is going in the direction you say that has this issue - 13 to 14, 14 to 15 etc. The other way is fine if your sensitive to it when shifting.

Might have to take a couple of photos with the old chain for aesthetics! Other than that, maybe I'll try it out again when I hunker down to get the Gran Sport mech and working in the distant future! That's for the old Claud Butler I've been gathering the early Gran Sport and FB parts for years now.

Back