xtr FD-M952 set up mare ..

ti-fat-man

Senior Retro Guru
I've been spannering bikes for a while now. But this XTR FD-M952 is a mare to set up sweetly.

It is the top pull with the clamp sitting low down. Other mechs I've fitted have the sticker with the 1-2mm clearance gap from the cage to the large ring. This type of mech seems to swing different. I try to line the cage with the outer plate square with the large ring. This cage has a wedge shape and makes this strange to line up correctly.
When I tension the mech to throw the cage out for the large ring, it seems to foul on the middle ring. I hate the large ring and small cassette combo rubbing the cage on the inside. No matter how I trim this large/small ratio to clear the cage, it fouls with the middle ring. I hate to see front mechs mounted high off the large ring. Am I trying to get it too close? Looking at the pressed profile of the inner part of the cage, it has a profile similar path for the middle chain ring teeth.

If any of this make sense, please link me to the Shimano fitting guide, or just enlighten me.

Cheers folks ..

Not to ruin your day but I’ve always found M952 the easiest groupset to set perfectly assuming all things are meant to be.

What frame is it? What chainset ? And what BB length?

It might be just the derailleur, but sometimes the geometry of the bike does not do the fd any favours, that also includes the chainset. Is that derailleur stock for the bike? Or is it an upgrade?

Let us know details👍

68-69 degree
Fat Chance titanium '99
Revo's
Syncros BB

Outside my Knowledge but someone will likely know what works on that. I’ll likely say it’s going to be BB length related.

What BB length should it have and does it have is where I’d start

i'll find out laters ..
school night - I have to do my NICEIC CPD training at 8pm.
59 and still at skool ;-)

Are you using the 'pro-set' alignment toll these come with (and many mechs do).
Aka the plastic plug you stick in them to hold them out in the alignment position?
Yes it should be close.

It could be rings, feck knows.

Anyway, Revos as in Syncros steel jobbies?

109 bb length for them, and I guess anything up to 113.

Syncros made. ... 107/109/111/113 ... bottom bracket lengths.

Attachments

• SI-F660D-000-00-ENG.pdf
    311.2 KB · Views: 4
Yeah Syncros Revolution. Is there a correct distance (spacing) from the middle to outer chainring?

The inner ring is governed by the spacers to the 'power plate'

My outer ring is held off the power plate with chainring bolt spacers. To about match the Inner > Middle.

I wonder what the correct spacing of the rings should be.

Anyone..

Back