Old Italian Columbus frame!

It's not Gilco tubing, it's regular Columbus pipes that someone has fluted, after purchase. I've seen quite a few frames with fluted tubes, including one which seemed to be fluted SLX.

My guess would be that anyone can flute tubes after they've bought them from Columbus (if they have the means), but perhaps 4 flutes is a copyright of Gilco, as I've only ever seen 5 flutes.

Lovely looking frame. The fork is identical bar the logo text to that on my Mino Denti (link in my signature) which is from around 86/87. The fork style and top tube cable guide definitely point to at least a later 80s frame in my opinion.

fogot to mension, the tubing has 5 flutes not 4!... thanks
Well now, that is interesting. I only have had only one "GILCO" tubed frame (Rossin, model?), but it is 4 flutes. My other crimped frame is a Colnago Nuovo Mexico having a top tube with 2 flutes and down tube with 4 flutes; but that tubing is Columbus/Colnago "PROFIL" tubing. I also have 6 flutes (Falck?), and 8 flutes (Oria?) crimped tubed frames.
I will see if I can find another 5 flutes frame since I am now intrigued as to who else may have used that style tubing.
I think you might contact Columbus and see if they ever produced that style tubing.

As for the Columbus decal it can indicate the "SL" or "SP" tubing was used. Depended on frame size, and it was not uncommon to have a mixed tube frame custom build. "SP" was generally spec'd for larger frames (58cm plus) and/or heavier riders. "SL" usually has a 27.2mm seat post, "SP" a 27.0mm post. I would also verify if the steerer tube has the 5 reinforcing helical "ribs", which I believe was standard for their top tubesets.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your assistance in helping to determine the origin of my frame.. although it’s history and tubing is still a bit of a mystery!…i have tried too reach out to the original manufactures who I believe are now called Cicli Rozza but nothing back as yet!

Thank you all for your assistance in helping to determine the origin of my frame.. although it’s history and tubing is still a bit of a mystery!…i have tried too reach out to the original manufactures who I believe are now called Cicli Rozza but nothing back as yet!
I have heard of people mentioning a "Silva" frame, but I am only aware of their lugs and tools. When I looked up "Silva 5 flutes" some discussion appeared on the PEDALROOM website (it kind of confused me) regarding "Silva" and "Gilco" tubing, but the bike in question had 4 flutes so no idea how the 5 flutes came into the discussion or if the person making the comment actually knew of a 5 flute "Silva" frame. Here is the link: https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/rossin-gilco-pista-34559

Here is another odd fluted tube frame. It is a Rossin built frame for Cicli Fusar Poli. Top and down tubes have 4 flutes in a GILCO style, but are Columbus "Cromor". Contacting Rossin has shed no light on the subject as to them modifying the tubes or having it done by Columbus.

20230218_145511~2.jpg 20230218_151318~2.jpg 20230218_151821~2.jpg 20230218_153020~2.jpg 20230218_161545~2.jpg 20230218_160509~2.jpg

Reactions: HPL
Here is another odd fluted tube frame. It is a Rossin built frame for Cicli Fusar Poli. Top and down tubes have 4 flutes in a GILCO style, but are Columbus "Cromor". Contacting Rossin has shed no light on the subject as to them modifying the tubes or having it done by Columbus.
Interesting frame; I think you should start a separate thread for it. I had never heard the name before, and I have never seen a cromor frame that was crimped/fluted in any fashion so I would say that it is fairly unique. I looked up the brand and apparently they are still in business. Maybe you can get some info from them.

I have gotten one of these 5 flute frames. It was not advertised as Gilco only "Gilco like". Fork is Columbus, with front and rear drops-outs also Columbus; but the frame may not be although it is certainly quite lightweight. The branding is Santini, but the logo design is not even close to the Santini originating from Forte dei Marmi which has a 4 leaf clover. This one has a stylized bird's head. I will post it in a separate thread.

Last edited:
I just remembered where I saw fluted SLX - it was (of course) the Rossin Ghibli, which had fluted SLX tubes. Looks like Rossin put the fluting tools to use on other frames as well.

I just remembered where I saw fluted SLX - it was (of course) the Rossin Ghibli, which had fluted SLX tubes. Looks like Rossin put the fluting tools to use on other frames as well.
I have recently come across another example of a Rossin with fluted (4) tubing and having the "Cromor" decal as well. Rossin openly states in their catalog with a Ghibli model that; "the Ghibli is built with an exclusive Rossin tubing system forming its own trademarked rippled (fluted) Columbus (SLX) tubing". That kind of puts to rest the question of whether or not the tubes were formed at Columbus or Rossin; we now know Rossin did their own thing and probably did the same to the "Cromor" fluted frames.

Back