Columbus SLX

CarolineJS

Retro Newbie
Hi, I wondered if anyone would be able to help me establish what the bike is and how old it would be.
It has been in an outbuilding of mine for approx. 10 years, but is not in bad condition considering.
I can see it has a Columbus badge on the frame, and all the mechanical parts have the brand names on them.
I know nothing about bikes, so really am looking for advise before I sell it. I can't find a serial number on it, any advise would be welcomed. Thank you 1000006609 bike.jpg t find a serial number on it anywhere, 20231001_133327.jpg 20231001_133308 bike.jpg

The bike looks to have been repainted at some point, so the tubing decals don't necessarily mean anything.

To get some idea of the tubing quality, check the seatpost diameter. 26.8mm or more indicates decent quality.

The Shimano parts will all have date codes on them, but as the bike has obviously been rebuilt, they may not be original to the bike.

Shimano's (and other brands') date codes can be found here:

Vintage Trek

From what I can see from enlarging the pictures there seems to have been some quality work gone into that frame. The dressing of the rear dropouts appears at first sight to be excellent. The rims are Campagnolo sprints and the hubs are possibly late model Nuovo Tipo but I can't see them well enough to be certain.

From what I can see from enlarging the pictures there seems to have been some quality work gone into that frame. The dressing of the rear dropouts appears at first sight to be excellent. The rims are Campagnolo sprints and the hubs are possibly late model Nuovo Tipo but I can't see them well enough to be certain.
Thank you so much for the information and knowledge. It is by no means in perfect condition as been in an hour building for 10ish years. Tyres are flat but not perished. Pedals are a bit rusty and rust on the gear cogs, but it all turns . The breaks work and wheels look ok. Not sure what I should ask for as a sale price.

Rear spacing: 130mm = 1990+. SLX was once the flagship tubing by Columbus but was slowly phased out in the early/middle 1990's with Columbus MAX, Genius, Foco and Nemo being more updated and sophisticated DBS tube sets (Differential Butted Shape butts).

Rear spacing: 126mm = 1980's.

Looks to be of typical Italian geometry.

Where are you located? Market values for these bikes tend to vary wildly, depending on the area. Like anywhere between 100 and 400 GBP.

Check out your local classifieds to get an idea of what bikes like these are selling for.

Back