Old Italian Columbus frame!

David K 59

Retro Newbie
Hi There
I’m new to the forum but wondered if anyone is able to help identify this interesting fluted Italian frame, I’m about to have it rebuilt but can’t find anything about it’s origin/age etc?

Attachments

• ANWJ5606.JPG
    ANWJ5606.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 82
  • CFUR1835.JPG
    CFUR1835.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 79
  • DHJJ5262.JPG
    DHJJ5262.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 66
  • MTYB6915.JPG
    MTYB6915.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 66
  • PTAB7366.JPG
    PTAB7366.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 79
Looks to be a small cycle shop in Bargano, Italy, South of Milan. There's a modern bike in the shop window with the Rozza name on it. Not uncommon for these small shops to have been around many years and they may have had an in-house builder or had the frames made by external master builders contracted to build to their specification. Very nice frame and Cinelli spoiler BB a good sign of quality. Enjoy! https://www.google.co.uk/local/plac...v=100&ik=CAISFmFFMG5jN1lsYk0zTWZFcFQ0bGliUGc=

Interesting looking frame. Welcome to the forum. This thread may be of interest:

Thank you for the background info, I've owned the frame for sometime but keen to build it up with the correct period components, although it would be great to know more about it and it's age!...

What seems odd is that style Columbus decal came out circa 1978, and later mid 80s decals would specify the actual tubeset ("SL", "SP", etc.). That Cinelli BB shell would certainly be availble in the mid 80s (I think they made it available circa 1982). If the tubing is Columbus "GILCO" (4 flutes) it may be a bit later 80s. That tubing was developed in colaboration with Colnago and was first used on the Master and Arabesque models (correct me if I'm wrong) circa '84-'85. I believe that in its early days of use it was made for and used exclusively by Colnago. There are Columbus decals for the "GILCO" tubeset, one without any Colnago stuff on it ( "GILCO MS DESIGN"), but I am not sure when it was first used, nor when Columbus made that tubing avalaible to other builders. The general decal design changed by the mid 80s aside from having the tubeset specified ("wavy" lines). I would assume that a decal comes with the tubeset, but not being a builder I have no idea. It may have been that an older decal was used, or was mounted to replace an original decal.

Teresio is his first name. I have the Cicli Rozza name in my research list of Italian companies; also make the modern "Stark" brand. I would contact their shop and they should be able to give you more exact information on the year it was built. I have often contacted small Italian companies, and they are, for the most part, happy to help out; and are also pleased that their marque is being kept alive with early examples still being ridden about the roadways.

I have that Italian bike map; it is far from being complete. Especially relating to smaller builders/shops. It is still a very good resource though and I recommend folks get a copy. My list of Italian marques is at about 1000 entries.

Last edited:
From the Cinelli.IT timeline: Spoiler Patent 1984 (but I won't split hairs as it may have been available before patent granted!). The Columbus sticker is generally taken to be "Columbus SL" tubing and was used well into the '80s, but of course it doesn't mean the decal is original (though looks aged) or correct for the tubing if a replacement eg after a re-spray. Not an expert on crimped tubing and whether it's GILCO- would need some detailed comparisons to be made.

Attachments

• 1674591977206.png
    1674591977206.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
thank you all for the facinating insight it the backround to my frame, all very interesting and definitly helps to undstand more about it's origin and authenticity… as requested I’ve added a few more photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    398.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    325 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    297.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG