Old bones exhumed...GT Karakoram elite

"Toes on the nose"

Well as I lad I had a bit of energy spare....didn't think twice of getting up early putting on my wetsuit peddling 10 miles to the beach with a board under my arm for a surf then peddle straight to work ....if surf was still rolling after work......straight back down there in a wet wetsuit of course...🤨....ooh comfy!
Early nineties work wise for me was well not really work! Living the dream running a surf shop...more of a lifestyle with a bit of pocket money you could say.

So we used to get visits from brand reps and the like and one day it was the guys from quicksilver who turned up ....they knew we liked to party after work so stayed the night and this dude turned up later to join us....one of their sponsored pro riders ...bit of a legend actually and a top bloke! Spent three months living in a rusted burnt out car on Hawaii's north shore eating nothing but bananas cos he was so skint and riding big surf ...I get that attitude!
Well he left me this...my one and only motivational poster that hangs in my workshop..all I need really ✌️

IMG_20220826_181018_130.jpg

So surfing ...bikes....combined! Doesn't get any better!
You can guess that it didn't take long for Mickey to give that a go! Took a few weeks....smashed up knees and hands.... torn saddles and piecutted bar grips....but I got there!
Scary moment getting a foot up on saddle and one on stem even scarier letting go of bars and standing tall.....

Don't try this at home....but if you do heres a few hot tips....

1....your heel needs to be over the stem bolt on a long reach stem

2...... Make sure your quill stems tight!

3..... Don't try this in flip flops.....

I'll let you imagine how I figured those three things out....🤕

Back