the £25 GT LTS

MarinMartin

Marin Fan
So here it is. The retro project I promised. Looking at the serial number I think it might be a 1997 but don't quote me on that.

Long story short. My sister went to buy a car and ended up buying me this for £25 as well. It's not the prettiest but it's solid and let's face it the Magura HS33 rim brakes are probably worth more than that. The plan is to completely strip it down, clean the frame up the best I can and rebuild it with new parts. I need to get new decals and the Maguras need bleeding so will need to get a bleed kit for them as well. I'm not a purist and seeing as though it's not mint and it already has non-original parts on it I'm going to have a bit of fun with it. This will be a bike that gets ridden, not a show queen.

End plans are to keep it as a fun bike and if Mayhem ever happens again (I've got everything crossed that one day it will) then hopefully join you lovely lot for a few retro laps on it.

Attachments

• lts1.jpg
    lts1.jpg
    775.7 KB · Views: 85
  • lts2.jpg
    lts2.jpg
    702.4 KB · Views: 82
  • lts3.jpg
    lts3.jpg
    775 KB · Views: 84
Awesome for £25. Frame should polish up nicely, and if the forks aren't fudged then that'll be a nice rider for very little outlay. Rode one back in the day and really liked it.

Great buy, interested to see how this develops. I could be wrong, but I would think with the curved seat tube its a 1998 frame.

Think you could be right. I thought the serial number was 097 but its 0897 so possibly 98.

Either way it's going to be a nice little project and I'm excited about it.

Pretty sure it is a 98 by the seat clamp. Same as zaskar of that year.

I had one briefly a few years back. Check the black plastic bit by the shock they move a fair bit. Spoke to my LBS and they said back in the day they changed them all the time. Not sure you can do much about them but maybe worth mentioning.

Looks a great project. Enjoy

Bargain find, and they actually ride pretty nicely too. I'd just do the usual check for frame cracks & slop in the shock linkage. Maguras are pretty bombproof (I use Comma LHM fluid in mine) so are those forks, shouldn't take too much to get it up & running nicely.

Thanks everyone. The forks are actually ok, pumped air into them and they've held for the past 2 weeks so I'm just going to keep them. I saw a lot of people mentioning about cracks so checked over it very carefully and all seems ok, no slop in the linkages. I think I might have actually got lucky with this. Bleed kit for the maguras and new cables and chain and should all be good to go (might make a few personal changes but nothing major)

Back