Old bones exhumed...GT Karakoram elite

Mickeyspinn

rBotM Winner
Well it's original owner botm....think I kinda qualify.So let's have a thread then..!
And let's face it someone's gotta lower the tone...might aswell be me 😁

Bought new by me from Trev's cycles in Ashford....1991....if I remember rightly in August.
After working multiple jobs every weekend for ages I had enough stashed...think it was £575
Saturday was shovellin dog poo,mowing lawns,boatyard duties,washing cars,then dish washing in restaurant till late,Sunday paper round,boatyard duties then dish washing again till late! Usually by Wednesday I was just about awake in school 😂

What I've dug up so far....the bones! Are they on the morticians table or on Frankenstein's build bench?
Next few evenings should show some progress do I keep all its gory patina or give it some effort? Hmmm....

This is a very used bike....always well maintained but nailed day in day out for nearly 20 years.
I think it quite likely is the bike amongst all of my bikes that's got the most miles on it. I'm not even going to guess but it'll be huge!
It's had 2 full groupsets and 3 new wheelsets ..and lots of other bits along the way.
it's also the last bike I've ever bought brand new...we has history...a lot! It's shed my blood it's broken my bones but it always got me home.
so as I update this thread with fixes,fudges and generally doing what I can...(the most for the least) I'll drop some memories in ✌️ cos that's what this bike is all about! It's a lifer ..

so what we have so far....
IMG_20220808_122501_239~2.jpg
There's surprisingly a lot of stuff I've found in various boxes that's original to how it wheeled out the shop the day I got it...it was upgraded from day one 😁

This was it probably about a year old..

IMG_20220808_132859_971~2.jpg

And this is one of the others I've had... 4 in total 😊 it's basically how a new one looks....I don't think my original will ever be as handsome again tho!
Screenshot_20220808-142605.jpg

Reet! It's start time.....
This little box of treasures and "stuff" was my first box of bike take off tatt! And it's just given up some goodies !!!!
Going by the badge of honour it wears ....dates to 1986 😊
IMG_20220808_164637_219.jpg

We have an original made in Japan HG 70...I think! Quite possible it's the original chain to the bike...😄 Wow!
And some 2 finger brake lever grippies 100% sure their the ones in the pic above ✌️
And we have an hg70 cassette 12 28 think it's poss that it's also original to bike 😀
IMG_20220808_174650_619.jpg

If only I could find some Brahma bars...that'd be awesome! Loved em so comfy ...did snap two sets tho..😊

I think it was about 2002 this happened...

IMG_20220808_193416_548.jpg
I finally got with the plan and dropped the anchor!
Bye bye ubrake...now I regret it a little but it made sense then.... ploughing through clay and sticky mud becomes a chore with a Ubrake!
I bought an old stock last year's giant bike ....bland as anything a real Daewoo of a bike..but by the time I'd left floppy shocks and other naff bits on the shop floor for extra discount I had a full groupset wheelset tyres and bits n bobs for a full refresh...9 speed deore with v brakes.... so I had these studs put on by Ken James of Ashford he didn't seem to want to entirely remove the old bosses.....but I did 😁 so they came off ! Now I've got a huge area of erm disturbed paint !

Any bright ideas? I'm open to em!

I think it was about 2002 this happened...

View attachment 650609
I finally got with the plan and dropped the anchor!
Bye bye ubrake...now I regret it a little but it made sense then.... ploughing through clay and sticky mud becomes a chore with a Ubrake!
I bought an old stock last year's giant bike ....bland as anything a real Daewoo of a bike..but by the time I'd left floppy shocks and other naff bits on the shop floor for extra discount I had a full groupset wheelset tyres and bits n bobs for a full refresh...9 speed deore with v brakes.... so I had these studs put on by Ken James of Ashford he didn't seem to want to entirely remove the old bosses.....but I did 😁 so they came off ! Now I've got a huge area of erm disturbed paint !

Any bright ideas? I'm open to em!
Back to U (brake)

Back