Oh man...I think I just became a collector

frkl

Retro Guru
I've always owned several bikes, but I have made sure they were all different: a road bike, a touring bike, a mountain bike, a communter, etc. So the "collection" was totally, objectively, utilitarian. Completely necessary.

And there have always been the bikes that are passing through: to fix and sell to fund the hobby, to give away to friends, or to glean a few nice parts for the bin...

But I just bought another early 90s mountain bike, from the same manufacturer of my current mountain bike. And I could try to argue that I want to compare the ride quality of Tange MTB triple butted vs Tange MTB oversized double butted. But really I just like the paint job and would kinda like to own one of each in the range. I'm going to ride it, because I believe bikes are meant to be used, not displayed. But still, I certainly don't need it.

Oh man.

Don't fool yourself. The problem has always been there.
A bike for this, that....you could commute on your road bike. Panniers on your commuter....semi slick on your mtb.

Hypothetically, get down to two bikes.

But, i must not judge, been there myself.

TBH 3 or 4 bikes is a happier medium for me😀, although storage can be a problem.
One road bike, one for off road, one as a spare just in case or to lend to someone, and one to tinker with as part of a long-term restoration!

It's a slippery slope, you start with one, you blink and you then have 15 in the stable;). Welcome to the club, you need so start linking in your signature and watch how it grows.

I also simply don't have space for so many. The problem is that I enjoy working on bikes, so I can't be without a project for long, but then I grow attached and it's hard to sell.

And there have been a few bikes I did sell that I really regret now, and that makes me hesitate even more.

Maybe I should only buy bikes that don't fit me, so I have a built in reason to get rid of it at the end :)

At least my current interests are affordable. I grew up in the US, now live in Germany, so there are tons of bikes that are not uncommon here that are totally new to me. And some brands that command premiums here were pretty common when I was growing up.

The purchase was this, although a 93, not a 94:

Screenshot_20220304-093701~2.png

And the one I already have is this:

Screenshot_20220304-093725~2.png

Corratec went all bow bikes a few years later, and these is is the design they became known for. But these are really interesting to me because they prove that the 1980s didn't end on 1.1.1990 and the paint and decals, while over to top, are incredibly intricate. It's just not something one sees anymore.

I should start a rebuild thread in the Bikes section one the thing arrives.

Back