not another Yo Eddy build thread!

jonnyboy666":1ewkcw0u said:
i'm happy in that it's getting somewhere, i'm happy with the wheels and fork, wished i would have got the king headset rather than be messed around by the seller, i have some m952 brakes on the way so that matches the rear hub and mech and shifters i have, i do have a front mech but it's an m953, the sort of polished grey finish version as opposed to the matt grey of the m952 so i need to swap/sell that to get the correct mech otherwise the mix of finishes will look weird.

i need to decide on what bar and stem i want, i intend to keep the silver USE post so that suggests a silver bar and stem but i think the black front end looks good, not the parts i want but the colour is right i think. what's the thoughts on a black stem and a silver bar? that would keep the black stem/headset and fork (sort of black) while matching the bar to the post

That'll work a treat a black ringle stem with yellow lettering & a silver USE bar if you can find one!

Love it. I too bought a Buck from Dave and absolutely love it. Been a bit quiet on here of late, houses and a pregnant other half are sapping funds! But as soon as I can I'll be building another Fat, hopefully a Yo or maybe even a Ti if I decide to sell some things/kidney.

Love that paint job.

ok, more of an update, the bike is finished (for now) :D

i'm sure there are bits that people won't like, but i have built this within a tight budget and with a nod to the modern.

since the last update i have bolted on all the xtr, the gears, managed to find a matching front mech, and brakes and that king headset finally turned up, the seller never even acknowledged any email or paypal dispute, not a word, was polite and quick to reply when selling but nothing after, idiot. the only stem i had that was the right length was a thomson which was 31.8mm so i have put a modern bar on it that i found in ano green which i think looks cool. also it has a modern speed v saddle, i get on with these and the rocket v so i tend to stick with them regardless of retro or modern, my attitude is that if you find a saddle design that works for you then stick with it!

the only other thing i should mention is the fork, some may have noticed it's quite long, this is deliberate, i guess a frame from this era should have a 63mm travel suspension fork at most which suggests a axle to crown length on 390-420, this fork is a 440mm axle to crown, the reason this is deliberate is that i checked my buckshaver which is very similar in the design and from i think the same year, the buck has a rockshox sid fork on it,set at 80mm which gives an axle to crown of 465mm and that rides fine so as i prefer a slightly more up right position and also that i prefer a slacker head angle i thought i'd try it and see how it rides.

anyway, here are the finished (for now) pics :D

P1120819 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120820 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120821 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120822 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120823 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120824 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120827 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120828 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120829 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120830 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120831 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120832 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120833 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120834 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120835 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120836 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120837 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120838 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

so having finished it i had to take it out for a ride :D

first thing is the handling, it was spot on, the 440a-c fork feels fine, the bar is slightly wider than i would like but i am not cutting it down at the moment as i may be swapping it if i find a thomson stem in 25.4mm, it will just get used on my full suss bike instead. the gears and brakes were perfect, no weird noises or creaks for the whole 22 mile ride.

the ride itself was quite different from the Buckshaver i have, it certainly feels faster, the climbs were noticeably different, which i think is nothing but more stiffness in the frame but not so much that it felt uncomfortable to ride.

really pleased with it, anyway you can have some dirty pics now :D :D

IMG_1904 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_1906 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_1907 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_1908 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_1910 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Very contemporary build and nice review of the 'ride'. I think these Yo's look better without excessive bling on them sometimes.

i have never really been one for loads of bling as such, i like bright paint but parts wise i tend to stick to silver/black and also to the brands that i know i will not get any issues with, hence shimano, thomson, middleburn etc.

i am really pleased with how it turned out, especially for the budget, as i had sold a couple of frames and then some of the parts from them it enabled me to build this from mostly parts i had a couple of lucky prices i spotted here and there.

the only parts i had to specifically buy were, the front mech, the spokes for the front wheel, the chainset (but i used my rings), the bar, the headset and i think that's it! so that's not bad!

edit! and the fork!

:D

Back