not another Yo Eddy build thread!

purple and green? are you colour blind?!!! :LOL: i think not. ;)

i haven't really decided completely, i tend to build mostly conservatively, my general rules are light coloured frame= dark coloured components and dark coloured frame = lighter coloured components.

in this case it's a mix of light and dark on the frame which does present a sort of issue. as i said earlier in the thread i have a funding issue so to a point this will affect the choice of parts, which in turn may affect the colour choices aswel.

the base groupset will be m950/1/2/3, which is dark grey, the middleburn cranks have a red spider but i have some black rings so i may use those but i may have the spider re-done silver, i do currently have some bar/stem/seatpost options here but i'm not sure they would look 'right' on this build. also the rims i have are mavic citron rims, these may clash but they are all i currently have and they are in good condition and i have an m952 rear hub and a nuke proof front hub i can build them with.

long term if i do repaint i would prefer to stay with the original paint scheme but i suppose i could look at a fade that would suit the parts choices better, same pattern fade but a yellow/red? gold/bronze? i don't know, it's a decision i don't currently have to make so i'm not going to.

:)

jonnyboy666":1dzr6wm7 said:
purple and green? are you colour blind?!!! :LOL: i think not. ;)

i haven't really decided completely, i tend to build mostly conservatively, my general rules are light coloured frame= dark coloured components and dark coloured frame = lighter coloured components.

in this case it's a mix of light and dark on the frame which does present a sort of issue. as i said earlier in the thread i have a funding issue so to a point this will affect the choice of parts, which in turn may affect the colour choices aswel.

the base groupset will be m950/1/2/3, which is dark grey, the middleburn cranks have a red spider but i have some black rings so i may use those but i may have the spider re-done silver, i do currently have some bar/stem/seatpost options here but i'm not sure they would look 'right' on this build. also the rims i have are mavic citron rims, these may clash but they are all i currently have and they are in good condition and i have an m952 rear hub and a nuke proof front hub i can build them with.

:)

Great then you can sell me the rings to help fund the project :xmas-big-grin:

I don't disagree that black and silver will look great. It will. But I thought this was a retro bike forum? You know early 1990s? Purple and green look great together. If you were going to go with anything anodized on this build it would have to be purple! It would really make the green pop. But of course to each their own. There was that thread on the aqua fad fat with purple parts and most did not like it. To me it screams early 1990s, just like this OP jacket.

il_570xN.491591828_4h0m.jpg

:shock: no . . . that's definitely not for me!

until i decide exactly what i am doing i'm not selling the rings, long term if i do repaint they may be the correct colour option for the frame. we'll see, strangely though you are the 3rd person to ask about them, so as and when/if they go up for sale you're 3rd in the queue ;)

To be honest I cant imagine at this frame except silver nothing else but I let myself like to disabuse :D
I am curious to see how this nice frame is equipped with colored parts.

well the way i see it is the frame is a later frame, 96/97? and has no canti hanger which suggests a v brake build, so bearing in mind my buckshaver has 9speed XT on it i feel that this should have XTR, and that means M950/1/2 which is grey so by default it's gonna get a grey-ish build from that point of view, so silver is sort of not ideal unless it's the other bits like bar/stem/post.

ok, i have had a little more progress on this build, a few more parts have turned up and i have salvaged a few bits from the cull that was my for sale thread, i picked up an rc31 fork for a reasonable price although when i received it it had quite alot of damage to the drop outs finish wise so i have attempted a basic paint job on just the drops to tidy them up. i would have fitted them but i think i am being stitch up by a STW numpty for a king headset, paid for it 12 days ago and no sign of it yet and no email response :roll: , i have built the wheels, xtr rear hub and a nukeproof front, miss matching but i can live with that, sapim spokes on to mavic 517 citron rims and i have some bontrager jones tyres doing nothing so they went on. i have swapped the rings on the chainset to the black ones i have as i think i will prefer them but when i offered them up to the frame they looked a little dark against the darker shade of the lower half of the frame so i'm unsure what to do at the moment. i have also polished up an older USE post.

i feel a little disappointed so far though, i can't afford to point alot of money at this build currently so as a result i feel i am short changing the frame with a mixed bag of parts, that said i'm hoping that when it's built it will ride well and i can then change things from there. i am also building this in the same way as my buckshaver, a little more modern than the frame is, so expect a riser bar etc!

anyway, here's a few pictures from this afternoon. :D

the front hub and then the wheel build

P1120788 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120789 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

over over under

P1120790 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

laced and ready to true up

P1120791 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

the rear wheel

P1120787 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120786 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

rear wheel complete

P1120795 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

front wheel complete

P1120796 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

red rings

P1120792 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

black rings

P1120793 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

the painted drop outs so far

P1120801 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120805 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

i wanted to get this into a rolling chassis, it makes it so much easier to move around, when it's just a frame on it's own i get paranoid it's gonna get knocked over or whatever.

so, i'm waiting for that king headset still, got annoyed that i think i'm being stitched up by the seller so have started a dispute on paypal, in the mean time i have fitted a cane creek headset i had lying around, aswel as a thomson stem, easton bar, i also polished up a use post (there's clamp dust/grease on it in the pic though) and fitted that and a wtb saddle. i'm quite pleased with the way the fork drop outs turned out after drying after being painted. also the citron rims don't seem to look too bad against the paint!

please don't look at the pictures and pick at the parts, i know some are considered 'wrong' but as i have said, i'm limited on what i can do here.

some people seem to be unhappy about the fork but i want rigid and the chances of finding the right fork are just i think microscopic, even more unlikely is that i would be able to pay for them! the bar/stem is unlikely to stay, they are there more to hold the fork in that anything else.

any way here are a few updated pictures :)

P1120818 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120817 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120816 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120815 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120814 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

The wheels look sweet against the chameleon paint and I'd be happy leaving the rc31's on it,
You've got to be chuffed with it so far?

i'm happy in that it's getting somewhere, i'm happy with the wheels and fork, wished i would have got the king headset rather than be messed around by the seller, i have some m952 brakes on the way so that matches the rear hub and mech and shifters i have, i do have a front mech but it's an m953, the sort of polished grey finish version as opposed to the matt grey of the m952 so i need to swap/sell that to get the correct mech otherwise the mix of finishes will look weird.

i need to decide on what bar and stem i want, i intend to keep the silver USE post so that suggests a silver bar and stem but i think the black front end looks good, not the parts i want but the colour is right i think. what's the thoughts on a black stem and a silver bar? that would keep the black stem/headset and fork (sort of black) while matching the bar to the post

Back