Newbie with a question

k-rod":16mkkqys said:
Jeepers peeple - I'm 57 and climb/cycle all sorts of extended hills ... on and off-road. What's all this "I'm old and tired" and "I can't do this" and "can't do that" crap?

Sheesh. Put some effort into your existence (you'll reap manifold rewards in return)!
So I'm 20 years your junior and I have a long-term knee injury that I can't shift and a herniated disc in my back. What do you want, some congratulations for getting through life injury-free?

Jonny69":87eufpmm said:
k-rod":87eufpmm said:
Jeepers peeple - I'm 57 and climb/cycle all sorts of extended hills ... on and off-road. What's all this "I'm old and tired" and "I can't do this" and "can't do that" crap?

Sheesh. Put some effort into your existence (you'll reap manifold rewards in return)!
So I'm 20 years your junior and I have a long-term knee injury that I can't shift and a herniated disc in my back. What do you want, some congratulations for getting through life injury-free?

?? - shattered femur bone, twice broken wrist, ankle, ribs, snapped achilles tendon, fractured vertebrae ... and there's many more.

make no assumptions.

Beginning to sound like a medical records competition - not much help re query raised - but gives bragging rights :roll:

I've sustained no injuries in the past years, but still struggle to get up the hills...I guess 25 years of smoking doesn't help, but that's in the past :)

Wheels going in tomorrow for true'ing, spokes being adjusted so they ride nice and straight. Ordered some nice goodies on Ebay as well, so I will post snaps when they arrive.

Now, my latest conundrum is that I want to purchase some new shiny flange nuts for my wheels. I have checked the spindle sizes and they measure 10mm and 8mm ...ish. A metric M10 and M8 nut don't fit them, so I was wondering if anyone could shed some light onto the actual imperial size these threads are?

Thanks in advance, Gunter.

Re:

lt depends on how heavy the bike is and you yourself are? I'm pushing sixty but only weigh 130 pounds and still run 30/40 miles a week and we have "proper" hills (read seen many Pro's have to walk on them-30% plus for a long way) out the back door and that gearing would be "soft" for me. BUT without wanting to offend, if you are not fit, don't go over doing it and end up hurting yourself! I would fit a 44/32 Mtb chainset, without granny fitted, keep the rear gearing, until you get "road" fit.
IMHO there is too much "bravado" these days and it should be more about enjoying yourself than torturing yourself.

Re: Re:

Wold Ranger":2c90hykl said:
lt depends on how heavy the bike is and you yourself are? I'm pushing sixty but only weigh 130 pounds and still run 30/40 miles a week and we have "proper" hills (read seen many Pro's have to walk on them-30% plus for a long way) out the back door and that gearing would be "soft" for me. BUT without wanting to offend, if you are not fit, don't go over doing it and end up hurting yourself! I would fit a 44/32 Mtb chainset, without granny fitted, keep the rear gearing, until you get "road" fit.
IMHO there is too much "bravado" these days and it should be more about enjoying yourself than torturing yourself.

I agree Wold Ranger, a bit of work and the gears will be a lot easier!

GunterP":249hb5x7 said:
I've sustained no injuries in the past years, but still struggle to get up the hills...I guess 25 years of smoking doesn't help, but that's in the past :)

Wheels going in tomorrow for true'ing, spokes being adjusted so they ride nice and straight. Ordered some nice goodies on Ebay as well, so I will post snaps when they arrive.

Now, my latest conundrum is that I want to purchase some new shiny flange nuts for my wheels. I have checked the spindle sizes and they measure 10mm and 8mm ...ish. A metric M10 and M8 nut don't fit them, so I was wondering if anyone could shed some light onto the actual imperial size these threads are?

Thanks in advance, Gunter.

Does anyone have any ideas on these spindle sizes? I would really like to order some to replace the old ones!

I might just have to go to the nut and bolt shop in Basingstoke, I expect they may have some.

Gunter.

Back