Drivetrain parts Vs new drivetrain Vs new bike.

Beans

Retro Guru
I currently am in an confusing position of having the drivetrain parts on my very boring utilitarian Kona dew wear out.

It is the chain and the middle chainring which are both beyond worn out. I can no longer pedal the bike without chain slipping.
The cassette is probably okay as I remember actually changing it in relatively recent history.

It is a 52 42 30 triple. 9 speed. Horrible fsa Vero cranks. Bottom bracket never been replaced in 15 years ish of owning the bike.

I am struggling to find a 42t middle chainring for sale anywhere that isn't outrageously priced. Ideally I find one for £15 which added to cost of new chain and that there is a chance I'll still need new cassette. Is still kindve a lot. The cheapest one I've found is £23 on eBay. +£15ish for a chain.
Makes me feel like getting a whole new chain set with BB. Maybe something with ext BB. But I see that all the Shimano Sora, tiagra etc ones are typically 50 39 XX which would mess up my gearing.

And if I did spend around £60 on a decent condition chainset, with the cost of the chain. And other bits I need for the bike (a front mudguard at least) I'm looking at £100 which I could put towards a shiny new bike instead.

I do actually have the money for a new bike. But this (now) old bike I got in a time where I had no money and no space to even store bike indoors. I can't decide whether it's time to ditch this trusty old utilitarian bike which was never my favourite. Or get a fancy new bike that belongs in the 2020's and maintain it well from now on.

Ditch it and buy new. No wait, this is retrobike, repair it with period correct parts....

No, I'm not sure..... we need pics

(New chain, chainring and bottom bracket but I never said that out loud)

£100 won’t go very far towards a new bike these days. Replace the bits and keep using what you have.

Have a look at replacement 12 speed cassette costs if you are still not sure.

The most sensible option is to replace the ring and chain and see if it all works. If the BB is fine, leave it until it isn't.

What BCD ring do you need, 110 orc130?

Spa cycles do some nice ones at good prices last time I was in need.

38-42T will all fit. I found loads on ebay for around a tenner. Add a new cassette and chain and job's a good one for under £50.
As said, Stronglight from Spa are always excellent value.

38-42T will all fit. I found loads on ebay for around a tenner. Add a new cassette and chain and job's a good one for under £50.
As said, Stronglight from Spa are always excellent value.
Do you know if middle rings need to be middle rings? Most of the the I saw a lot in 39t but they seemed to be the outer rings for cyclo-cross doubles.

I suggest you look at the price of new bikes, reasonably OK one. So the cheapish things at Evans and Go Outdoors if they are still around.
And also On-One.
I think a replacement Kona dew is £400-500 from a quick search.

Personally, I'd get a new chain set, a cassette that makes the more compact front setup work and a new chain.
Some new cables while you're at it.

But get some pictures up, full bike, parts etc.
What's the tooth count on the rear, or if original, what year bike is it?

Personally I don't think middle rings need to be triple types with the extra pickups. But there again I think indexed front shifting causes more problems than it solves (usually chain rub or over-shifting). I generally use a bar-end or thumb shifter.

I generally use a bar-end or thumb shifter.
Ha, there was a period of around 3 years where I had a super weird setup of nitto promenade handlebars and super old fully plastic Sachs non indexed thumb shifters.
But then I put on a more conventional Easton monkeybar paired with some Shimano (rapidfire?) Shifters.

Latest posts

Back