Drivetrain parts Vs new drivetrain Vs new bike.

I think both sides here are making valid points but I suppose it depends on what you want in a new bike and whether you have the budget for something you'd genuinely be happy with.

Either way it's probably best to think about whether you want to continue riding the Dew. If not, as rwm says, why not try and get some cash for it and then, if I were you, I'd consider the used market.

Thanks everyone for comments. I decided to have a dig on my phone for a picture of the bike in question. Can't remember why I took the picture and on non drive side but there it is. The front bb7 brake eventually died and I now have an excessively good trp hydraulic brake on the front that makes me not want to leave the bike outdoors as I always have done or leaved it coated in winter road salt. I have indeed always used ramshackle cheapo panniers on it , zip tied on.
I did replace the wheelset from the one it came with but the new rear one died so I switched the rear back to the original. And have an annoying combination of presta and Schrader.
And last of all I just realised / remembered that the full road sized chainrings were always oversized for this. I just got used to it by riding the bike for so long. A compact should be fine.

Attachments

• PXL_20210425_080402923.jpg
    PXL_20210425_080402923.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 17
I also recently changed the headset for a nice cartridge one after the original one ground / rusted to the point the steerer was rattling.

Attachments

• PXL_20220520_131907222.jpg
    PXL_20220520_131907222.jpg
    877.7 KB · Views: 16
New bike time!😃
You yourself said this is not your favourite.
And you have the money.
Re-read what you wrote:

"I can't decide whether it's time to ditch this trusty old utilitarian bike which was never my favourite.
Or get a fancy new bike that belongs in the 2020's and maintain it well from now on."

Both sides of your either/or statement are in favour of a new bike!😉
There are times when it pays to fix things and save money (that will be on a bike you actually enjoy owning & riding).

Based on what you wrote, I think it's time you parted with the old bike.
In the words of Marie Kondo, ask yourself: "Does it spark joy anymore?"
Answer? No.
Time to move on. Thank it for being your trusty go-to workhorse steed in your life for all these years. Then let it go.
Life is too short to ride bikes that aren't doing it for you IMHO.

Now what bike(s) are you looking at replacing it with?😀

Last edited:
On second thoughts, if it's a commuter and you are leaving it out on the street, doesn't make sense to have a bike you're in love with, 'cause it'll get nicked.

Back