Dawes Super Galaxy - Early 1980s 531 - Questions and upgrades to early 1990s spec

Right, a bit more awake now...

- Dawes did/didn't offer paint upgrades in the 90s. It was only for warranty failiures that had their paint damaged and the frame would simply be stripped and put back through the paint production line.
- The thinge on the right fork leg is for a light mount...

Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 09.48.46.png

-triple chainset is not a problem. That derailleur is absolutely able to handle it.
-I'd definitely go for any 90s spec HG freewheel ( instead of 7 speed UG ) so I could go 8,9 and possibly future-friendly 10 speed compatible. Don't worry about spacing; that steel is a doddle to cold-forge out to any width and you can make the tool yourself.
- Galaxy seatpost diameters are a dark, gothic nightmare in the early years. Get digital vernier calipers, measure 15 times in every direction and then go on ebay and buy a cheap, long silver one in that size after tattooing that size to your inner thigh.
- **POLITE COUGH** bar end shifters.
- at that size bike I'd go big or go home. Fit 48cm drops, preferably from Rivendell for that funky, curvy retro look.
- Continental are too damn slippy in the rain and Schwalbe solved their puncture protection buy simply building a tyre with a tyre inside it, doubling the weight. I'd heartily recommend Vittoria Zaphiro Pro 32mm ( or if you want to get posh Rubino Pro ) for lovely Italian tarmac stickyness and puncture resistance at very agreeable light weights.
- within 2 days of fitting white bar tape it will look like you've been wiping your @rse on the handlebars.
- All your other choices are more about taste and you have plenty of that.
Message me anytime you need help. All the above advice is based on lots of my experience. Hope this helps mate.

I've got Weinmanns and it's all I can fit on the '76 model. Yes, they're pish but I still loves the bike. If I could recommend ( from experience ) any brake for your canti mounts it would be the Tektro mini V brakes. They've massive power and modulation like their grown-up full size V cousins but take a standard 22mm cable pull of roadie brakes so you've a whole world of retro levers to choose from.

I fitted an mt60 triple to mine with a 113 axle iirc but that was 32yrs ago 🤔
I think i needed a 122 spindle for my shimano deore triple.

While i appreciate Legrandfromage's suggestion of bar ends, I'd go all out and buy Gevenalle audax brake levers and stick the 105 shifters on those. Its so nice having the shifting on the brake hoods. I've got my commuter set up with the IRD version and 10 speed shimano dura ace bar end shift levers and its sublime in friction mode.

Sorry to have not checked in on this thread for a while, and thank you all so much for the very helpful replies - I read them all and some great stories and info there.

Upgrades:
- The only decent spare saddle I had (wanted a white Turbo but already had this, so will try it for a while), a Selle Italia Flite Gel
- A very lovely NOS black "Sakae TCO Sport" seat post - 27.0mm (correct diameter) x 300mm - £14 off eBay!
- Very good condition Cinelli Giro d'Italia bars to replace the awful ones it came with - 42cm, £16
- 1970s era (apparently) Cinelli 1A stem, 105mm
- 105 levers with the original white hoods
- SwissStop Rat pads

Got the Shimano brake cables, and white Cinelli Gel Cork tape to finish it off tomorrow.
Will see how it goes and then do the matching rear wheel size and tyre upgrades later on.

45E349A3-E056-41A9-9AEE-436BD592C434.jpg IMG_1240.JPG IMG_1245.JPG
IMG_1246.JPG IMG_1248.JPG IMG_1251.JPG IMG_1250 (1).JPG

Oh and the stem was £16, levers about £10 (came with 105 brakes but I didn't need them, so sold them). Brake cables super cheap from SJS. I know the 1A stem can be had for about £5, but I thought this being an older, supposedly 1970s, one was nice, to match the 1970s frame.

I would have tried to find parts that were original for that bike, but I'm weird that way, it's the old classic car thing in me.

Hey froze. For sure, in some cases (cars especially) I would agree with you. With this most likely being a 1975 frame, with the 1990s paint, I think it could have been taken either way. Reasons why I chose the latter:

- Wanted to try to use as much of what it came with as possible, and only change the parts I had to. Don't want to spend lots of money on this.
- It came with nice XT mechs that I don't have another use for, and didn't want to sell.
- I have 105 levers on other bikes and know and like them. Same with the 105 shifters.
- I am not keen on external "looping upwards" brake cables - prefer them under the tape.
- I have very large and wide feet, and my preferred pedals are the DMR V12 Mag in silver which I may use on this later - would have looked odd with the rest of the parts 1970s.
- If I change any parts later for modern bits, for ease of maintenance and replaceability, it won't look odd mixing new parts with 1990s ones.
- With the 1990s paint job, a full 1970s finishing kit was always going to look mis-matched anyway.
- If I don't need to strictly adhere to its original time period, I can use whatever spare parts I have already. Also, to me, it's a bit more fun and weird this way.
- I am still trying to keep the "classic" look with the choice of bars and stem etc (hence removing the awful "ergo" style drops), and will leave the crankset on for the moment after all of the nice comments on here.

Canti mounts make it an 80s frame.
That saddle is appalling; would you like a Rolls?
How ( as a giraffe like me ) do you survive without bar end shifters?
NEVER give up that splendid bar and stem under any circumstances.

Back