New project. 1992 Orange Aluminium 'O'.

Well done Ed..... you've finally got one!! :cool:

Before you strip the paint...if your going down the respray/ powder coat route - don't forget to trace the Graphics off :idea:

.... I don't have these later 'O' graphics on file ( only the early one's like on my 'O's ) If you give us a tracing of these, I can make up the replacements for you! :D

Plans sound good BTW..... personally I like the RC30's. Suspension wise.... RC35's would be more suited to the age of the 'O'.

I reckon your frame# is something like A108 XXXX or A110 XXXX ?
I recently got complete back issues of MBUK 92/93. The 'O' was still for sale in 1993 (£465 for F+F!!) but the 4 production batches ( identified so far ) are all from 1991. I haven't seen any 1992 made frames so far....?
Colours were Satin silver, Orange white, Matt black (from 06/91) and Purple anodized option (£90) on the last ones sold.

Watching with Interest.
boy"O"boy

Carge":80qm4vz7 said:
Mine's a A108nnnn - and has the older style graphics.

August '91 .... 3rd Batch. Triple top routed cable guides and replaceable rear mech hanger. Some of this batch have the later style graphics, some the original. Probably depends on which year the bike was sold. The '92 brouchure shows the 'old' style still being used.

Cheers,
boy"O"boy

Cheers for the feedback. The modern forks are both 80mm so too long although it rides well with the black ones. Might stick the RC30's on my Clockwork which will free up the RC35's for the 'O' ;)

Like buses these things. Wanted one for a while and now I think I've scored two in a week! Pick the other up today so will probably make one up out of the best parts of both.

Thanks for the info Ben. The serial number is A1120209. I had assumed it was November 1992 but guess it could be December 1991? Thanks for the offer on the decals. What's the best way to copy them?

brocklanders023":2i8jvkaq said:
Like buses these things. Wanted one for a while and now I think I've scored two in a week! Pick the other up today so will probably make one up out of the best parts of both.

Thanks for the info Ben. The serial number is A1120209. I had assumed it was November 1992 but guess it could be December 1991? Thanks for the offer on the decals. What's the best way to copy them?

Another one!?! :shock: ..... you and GT-Steve have picked up the Aluminium 'O' bug real bad!.... perhaps I should get another one! :LOL:

I reckon the bike was probably sold Nov '92 but they all seem to be manufactured in 1991. Yours is from the 4th batch.... batches were -

Feb '91 - Riveted cable guides, gear cables downtube routed. Colours- Satin Silver,Orange white
Jun '91 - Welded cable guides, gear cables downtube routed. Colours- Satin Silver,Orange white,Matt black
Aug '91 - Riveted 'triple' cable guides, all top tube routed. replaceable rear mech hanger. Colours- Satin Silver, Orange white, Matt black
Dec '91 - Riveted 'triple' cable guides, all top tube routed. Replaceable rear mech hanger. Colours- Satin Silver, Orange white, Matt black, Ano purple (£90 option)

A friend who spent his student summer working at Orange BITD ( applying the decals!...newer '92 style ones!) said that the frames were supplied unpainted, then painted in house to order. This could also be the reason that some of the last frames were purple anodised to clear the last of the frames in 1993.
Does anyone know anymore?

The best way to copy the graphics is to trace them off the originals. Cut a graphic sized strip of tracing paper and masking tape either side to keep it flat against to curve of the tube. An outline is fine..... I'll scan these in, rebuild in illustrator and vinyl cut them. PM me if you need any more help.

Cheers,
boy"O"boy

Cheers Ben, I'll get some tracing paper. Had only just thinned the collection and now have a house full again! Think I'll make one 'O' up out of the two bikes then recoup a bit of my outlay selling the other parts. :D

Just got in from collecting the second so here's a few quick pictures. Had a bit of a result with some of the parts on it ;) The frame has been repainted in a really tough black paint. Shame it's got a ding on the top tube though.

boy"O"boy":1pcccjrc said:
brocklanders023":1pcccjrc said:

Another one!?! :shock: ..... you and GT-Steve have picked up the Aluminium 'O' bug real bad!.... perhaps I should get another one! :LOL:

I reckon the bike was probably sold Nov '92 but they all seem to be manufactured in 1991. Yours is from the 4th batch.... batches were -

Feb '91 - Riveted cable guides, gear cables downtube routed. Colours- Satin Silver,Orange white
Jun '91 - Welded cable guides, gear cables downtube routed. Colours- Satin Silver,Orange white,Matt black
Aug '91 - Riveted 'triple' cable guides, all top tube routed. replaceable rear mech hanger. Colours- Satin Silver, Orange white, Matt black
Dec '91 - Riveted 'triple' cable guides, all top tube routed. Replaceable rear mech hanger. Colours- Satin Silver, Orange white, Matt black, Ano purple (£90 option)

A friend who spent his student summer working at Orange BITD ( applying the decals!...newer '92 style ones!) said that the frames were supplied unpainted, then painted in house to order. This could also be the reason that some of the last frames were purple anodised to clear the last of the frames in 1993.
Does anyone know anymore?

The best way to copy the graphics is to trace them off the originals. Cut a graphic sized strip of tracing paper and masking tape either side to keep it flat against to curve of the tube. An outline is fine..... I'll scan these in, rebuild in illustrator and vinyl cut them. PM me if you need any more help.

Cheers,
boy"O"boy

Was it the first batch of replaceable hangers version that they shortened the stays ?
Anyone know how much they where shortened them by ?

Wow, both bikes look like they came with some great kit. The blue bits would look really nice on my Pace build but MUST....RESIST!

Good luck with the build(s)

Back