New here. Vitus SuperVitus 980

Re:

Yeah, when I started this thread I'd just moved to Bristol and I was getting used to riding a lot more miles and more regular than ever before. It left me a bit unsure about the frame size and whether it worked for me. I still think that it was a bargain for the money I paid, but I don't have much experience of other frames and might be a little biased!

Since then I've done some more research, a lot more riding, and some checks on my position and I'm fairly sure whilst borderline, it's just about big enough for me. I'm planning on stripping it and repainting it with 2k paint myself, not sure if to as factory colours or something different, and then rebuilding with a few different parts. I'll have proper brazeons fitted for the second bottle cage and then probably go for some wider bars with a bit less drop and a slightly longer seat post.

First thing that has to change is I need to get a smaller inner chain ring, problem being the smallest they did was a 40 and that only in steel. Not sure what to do, maybe I'll try normal round chain rings.

Rich

LANTB.jpg

http://hboertzler.blogspot.com/

Re:

Wow - been a long time since I posted on this thread.

That Peugeot in the link in the post above is lovely isn't it, and 9.8kg in such a big frame!

Anyway, my Vitus is still going strong. Had a few adjustments over the last couple of years. Now has a longer stem, wider, 'ergo,' bars which have a bit less drop as I found I wasn't that comfortable on the drops before and a longer seat post. I'm actually really comfortable on it these days and wouldn't change it. I've also changed the cassette for a 13-30 7 speed, the inner chain ring for a 40t to help getting up the hills and the shifters for the 1051 7 speed versions rather than the 1050 6 speed ones it had before.

It's also been joined in the garage by a few more 'retro' steel bikes. A 1993 ish Harry Quinn for my other half which is a tiny little mixte frame with a fillet brazed top tube in 531 Designer Select and a 1991 GT Karakoram Elite photod below at the finish of the Chalkheart CX Sportive today.

I'll try to get an up to date photo of the Vitus sometime to update this thread. It's no prettier than the last time though as it now has even more shades of white touchups and still desperately needs a respray!

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_0408.jpeg
    IMG_0408.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 264
Re:

In answer to the original question ( should`ve checked it was a resurrected post - sorry ) Pretty sure its a British Eagle, I`m sure they did a Vitus model, I`ve got a catalogue somewhere....Gonna try and find it.....

Re: Re:

marshalllucky":1tsapke4 said:
In answer to the original question ( should`ve checked it was a resurrected post - sorry ) Pretty sure its a British Eagle, I`m sure they did a Vitus model, I`ve got a catalogue somewhere....Gonna try and find it.....

I had it in my head somewhere that it was at least sold through British Eagle although I wasn’t sure if they made their frames or bought them in? Either way I’ve never found a catalogue from around 88-90 to check.

Rich

Back