Name this 60s or 70s carlton built raleigh( I give up!)

Re: Name this 60s or 70s carlton built raleigh ( I give up!)

This appears to be original paint and certainly has a properly attached Raleigh heron, though I suppose that could of been added later, and it could be a very old respray. Tomorrow I'll strip it down and see if the head badge has been messed around with.

Re: Name this 1960s carlton built raleigh

I wonder if the colour is mink? That would suggest a USA frame maybe...

Shaun

Re:

The one bike that is virtually the same is the 70 raleigh international which was a export model I believe. Mine has everything but the chrome head lugs.

Attachments

• 74_International_Head_B_400.jpg
    74_International_Head_B_400.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 488
  • 2016-02-27 22.35.54.png
    2016-02-27 22.35.54.png
    126.7 KB · Views: 485

I think the Export / USA angle might be right..... Something I never thought of to start with.

Shaun

Still frustrating as I can't find the same colour or chrome combo.

Export frames left the Carlton factory by the back door as did those for the domestic market... Blue mink was meant to be an export colour only if memory serves.

Nice frame whatever the provenance :)

Shaun

Re:

Didn't put up a fight. Only colour inside the tubes is the blue so it probably left worksop just like this( but prettier )
Think I've fell for it.

Attachments

• 2016-02-28 13.59.59.jpg
    2016-02-28 13.59.59.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 458

Certainly a lovely frame. This will come up really nice, I'm sure.
What are your plans for it?

Jamie

Hi Jamie, it's definitely worthy of a full restoration, still looking into exactly what it is, it's been suggested that's it's a custom build in the style of the Raleigh Bantel team bikes. So long term respray, and build up with nuovo record or perhaps some period French components.

Well after a few days trawling the net I've drawn a blank. It's probably early 70s and a custom build. So I will rebuild accordingly. Bit of guess work required with the decals but I feel less is more in that department so it shouldn't be an issue.

Back