My Bikes

adam87

Retro Newbie
Hello all :)

My first post on here. My names Adam, I'm 26 from Horndean, Portsmouth. Used to ride my bike a lot as a kid, starting with a Univega Alpina 510 in 1998. I bought this bike because it was the best on test in an issue of MBUK for budget bikes. Rode superb, shame not many Univegas are seen over here. Came with some RST front forks which I upgraded to Marzocchi Z3 flylight 100's in 2000 along with an Azonic shorty stem, shortly followed by a Hope Enduro 4 front disc brake with Hope XC hub laced to a Mavic F519 I think. I loved it and still have the frame in the now tidy garage. Picture was taken after it had been in storage for years. I'm aware the tyre wasn't in good condition!

After many years away from the bikes, focusing on cars. I came back last year and bought a carrera banshee frame off ebay for £25 although I needed a bearing kit just for one missing bolt. A rear Hope DH4 brake. A hope xc wheelset on Halo rims, although the rear disc mounts have cracked but still usable for now for £40, also got given an xt rear mech, deore shifter, dmr v8 pedals, 2 sets of tyres and an old chain device for free with the wheels! A bargain '99 Marzocchi polished Z1s for £25. So I built this up and used it as my everyday bike riding the southdowns and round QE park. For the bad rep banshees have it's an ok bike! Sure its a bit hard on the climbs but if climbing were easy we wouldn't get fit! See pic attached(sorry about the stickers! plain white was just boring).

Late last year I also purchased a DMR Trailstar frame with seatpost and clamp for £35 and some raceface bars for £10. Lots of scrapes and missing paint but solid. I always wanted one of these as a child so I grabbed the chance to have one. I put my Z3 flylights Ive had from new on there and in my opinion it really looks the business! Love the blue/purple colour of the frame. Needs a few finishing touches, single speed hub on the back, or maybe gears I cant decide. Also replaced the Hope DH4 for a cable tektro I had laying around as I had to take the DH4 off every time I removed the rear wheel! Cable ties are also wrapped around old inner tubes now to prevent anymore marks. Hope you like it!

Attachments

• Univega.jpg
    Univega.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 309
  • Messenger_5803609448094111407_13836883182952110.jpg
    Messenger_5803609448094111407_13836883182952110.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 309
  • DMR11.jpg
    DMR11.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 309
  • DMR2.jpg
    DMR2.jpg