Muddy Fox or Ammaco.....What is This.....???

p3tester

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just took at £30 punt on the linked frame....only have the pics from eBay but anyone shed any light on it??

Seller stated '98 ish....no canti bridge it would appear or wishbone seat stay....

Appears to be a MF frame but decals look to be original given there is a patent one on seat tube....

Any ideas....at £30 not a drama if its sh*t!!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221145994029? ... 1497.l2649

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
It will be interesting to see if there is actually a cable stop for the rear brake because I wouldn't be surprised if it originally ran canti's via a Kona-style 'dog-collar?' After all, it does have a canti-hanger fork...

...of course, I could be talking complete b*ll*cks as usual! :LOL:

Its a version of the Muddy Fox Monarch.

I think it may be a late version of the Team frame.

Dropouts will be a better indication - from the pics they look Ritchey esque.

The Team frames had Ritchey dropouts whereas my Pro had a more basic flatter affair.

Pretty sure I have a scan somewhere :)

edit >>> This, I suspect, is a later version of the frame in the listing:

p4pb5992140.jpg

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... -id-please

Yes, I bought it....£30 = zero risk ;)

Not sure if it was worth it, but liked the look of the frame, no mounts for guards or rack so I thought it may be something half decent??

Later than my MF knowledge but it does look like the frame from STW, welds look super neat and Ti-esqe. If it is Monarch Ultimate it might well be Tange Ultimate tubing (hence the moniker), so a bargain for £30.

Carl.

just to wet your appetite a bit, my monarch , (which might be fuji lite tubing dont really know but anyway) frame weighs 1300 g and builds into a sub 22lb rigid with quite ordinary bits. so could be rubbish, could be real nice :D

oops! :oops: sorry, just checked my post in "the >22lb steel club" and it wieghed 1800. However, it still comes in under 22lb :D

Attachments

• 2012_07_05_212315_138.jpg
    2012_07_05_212315_138.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,391
Bike arrived this morning in bubble wrap and a bin liner....drop out exposed...but thankfully no damage.

So, the bike is clearly a super cheap build on the Ammaco name, with a Hawk Cycles sticker on the frame and crappy parts spec.

However, the frame looks really nice. It is heavily painted, looks to have been painted over an original colour....it does have Ritchey dropouts, really tidy little welds and is really light compared to comparable sized Explosif and Marin Team frames.

Frame has a 1" headtube, 28.6 front mech sizing...seatpost is either 26.8 or 27.0....?

The Muddyfox logo is part of the frame on the top tube....no indication of frame number though as paint is very thick, maybe 3 layers.

What it doesn't have is a rear canti guide, clearly supplied with V brakes.

It seems to be a nice steel frame, which will get a fresh cost of powder, some pretty bits of jewellery and a canti rocker for the rear bridge.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

Back