Motorcyclist hits cyclist, then blames the cyclist.

Re: Re:

kenaltobelli":mgupifpo said:
on a moby in the middle of London ;may aswell be high on drugs'
you need your wits about you and to be whiter than white
its a dog eat dog world and the ducati guy got away with it.
afraid he gets no sympathy from me being on a phone the p;;;;
I think he was daft for being on a mobile, too.

Problem is, as far as I can see from the video, it had precisely feck all to do with why the motorcyclist nerfed him off. That was all him, man.

And Mr Duuuccaaati did get away with it - partly because nobody had the presence of mind to question his riding, partly because he was savvy enough to divert attention away from it, and partly because the WPC was easily led.

In reality, he's very lucky the cyclist wasn't injured, or worse. Because the video of him would be very damning - no wonder he took it down.

Re:

I am not entirely sure, given other similar cases recently, that the motorcyclist will get away completely scot-free.

It may also be a blessing that the cyclist was using his right arm for his phone, so he was deflected more easily. He may have careered off to the right and ended up under an approaching vehicle.

Bottom line the motorcyclist drove dangerously. He is very fortunate the cyclist was relatively placid and probably wary of having been on his phone. I know how I would have reacted were I the cyclist. Of course I would not have been on my phone, but I would still have been knocked off my bike.

Re:

IMO m/cyclist drove into the cyclist so is 100% at fault regardless of the the cyclist was doing. IIRC The highway code states to give cyclist a wide berth before overtaking. Lemme see if I can find it ....

give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211 to 213 and 214 to 215).
Remember: Mirrors – Signal – Manoeuvre

hc_rule_163_give_vulnerable_road_users_at_least_as_much_space_as_you_would_a_car.jpg

Given what else has been uncovered about the motorcyclist, how he actually rode, and his behaviour and comments, you could be forgiven for thinking it was intended, after clocking that the cyclist was on a mobile, then having some excuse / plausible (ish) deniability.

He was first to mention the mobile - almost like "Look, he was on a mobile, can't possibly be my fault...", but his positioning, and passing so close to the cyclist - how could he ever think that would work out safely? Plus one of the videos draws attention to what he was doing with his handlebars just as he's passing.

None of this was high speed, none involved having to suddenly brake hard or do avoiding action, it all happened quite gently - which was perhaps quite the saving grace for the cyclist. The more I've seen the clip, the more I'm inclined to suspect malice as opposed to incompetence. My suspicious mind makes me think he noticed the phone, already has / had a rather documented dislike, then saw an easy excuse.

The motorcyclist caused the collision no doubt and I hope he is reported.

But, I have absolutely no sympathy with the cyclist. Operate a vehicle/bike etc on a road, even more so busy city roads whilst using a mobile then you deserve everything you get. Mobiles and roads do not mix whatever your in/on.

KDM":m738qboa said:
The motorcyclist caused the collision no doubt and I hope he is reported.

But, I have absolutely no sympathy with the cyclist. Operate a vehicle/bike etc on a road, even more so busy city roads whilst using a mobile then you deserve everything you get. Mobiles and roads do not mix whatever your in/on.
I'm not about to defend people cycling or driving on the roads, whilst using a mobile.

But saying they deserve everything they get is also bogus. Yes, if he caused an accident or was responsible for something because he was using a mobile - fine - throw him to the lions. And in general, in busy traffic, pretty damned stupid thing to do.

All the same, mobile, or not, he didn't deserve to have motorbike drive into him - that didnt occur because he was using a mobile - well at least not in the normal sense. I have a sneeky feeling it may have contributed to being targetted by the motorcyclist, but that's just really how the whole situation looks to me, before, during and afterwards.

I agree, he shouldn't have been on a mobile - but in the circumstances of the video and the collision, I can't see it has any bearing on the motorcyclists actions (apart from possible motivation).

I don't think he deserved it. Conversely, I don't think he's in any moral position to complain. He acted like a tit, can't really grumble when someone else also does.

Back