MOTOR CHAT

Re:

Cheers Andy, I reckon I'd strip it down anyway if I couldn't get it going. The reason for taking it on was as a project, I'll do something with it one way or another.

Chatting to a guy from work last night and he mentioned that he has an old Africa Twin that hasn't turned a wheel in a good wee while. Happened to say if you are thinking of selling....... I really need to get the garage cleared.

Re:

Honda Africa Twin may be a better bet than the Guzzi - unless you like that kinda thing - mind you, I wouldn't cafe the AT :p

Re:

:eek: no no, the Africa Twin would be stock, cool enough and nae needing messed with.

Africa Twin? Buy it!

Meanwhile, don't turn over an old engine that has been sat unless it was recently run.

If you insist, at least spray some penetrating oil into the cylinders. Even small amounts of corrosion around the rings will score the walls.

My move would be to rebuild it, and there is no reason then it would not work. Not a huge undertaking, just need the tools and a gasket set.

One thing you will notice about all these barn find, get it started, blah, blah shows is they sell the bikes on as soon as they get them started and tarted up a bit.

If it going to be your bike, invest the time to do it sympathetically and with love.

Lovely bikes Guzzis.

Re:

It's a 93 so 750. Still cool!(ish, not the classic colour scheme unfortunately)

Yes, it is a hop on for most.

I would be interested in that given a price.

The one bike I put miles on every year is a BMW Funduro, (which is not 'really' a BMW of course).

It has a low seat, so works for a wide range of riders, and is very simple, being a carb. Little porky, but still pickuppable; great on the twisty roads, and over the potholes and such. Not something you can throw about off road, but surprisingly capable if you respect its limitations.

I toyed with getting rid of it, but it is worth nothing relative to the smile it puts on my face.

Kaiser, you got a bike licence ?

Maybe you have as motorbikes are not a conversation I ever think I've had with you.

Further Guzzi's carbs lie beneath the fuel tank between the cylinders so to adjust you need to remove tank which is a pain when trying to run and adjust the engine. The clutch is also notoriously heavy. Its no wonder they are all fuel injected and electronically controlled today, the old ones were pure tractors.

I'm taking lessons just now V, thus the heavy interest. A Mod 1 practice on Sunday and will hopefully book the test soon too.

Back