MOTOR CHAT

I love the idea of a gumtree boat with one of your engines bodged in with bits of bike frame zipping across the Forth! :facepalm: :LOL:

Re: Re:

RobMac":2s6rivew said:
Its a 64 or a 63 its the last of the 6V ones. As a matter of fact I just found a NOS mk3 Boyer Bransden Electronic Ignition kit for the Bonny today.
Very nice,gold and silver would make it a 64.A 12v conversion would be worthwhile.I converted an early unit 500 to 12v and stuck on a Boyer elec ign,voltage regulator,halogen headlight and a twin lead coil from a Honda Bros,switchgear was from a Yamaha XS650.These absolutely transformed the bike.Any plans in getting your bike up and ready?Those early unit Trumpets are quite thin on the ground.

Re:

Right, I'm casting my eye over the Guzzi. So the bike has been sitting for a long time, and previous to being laid up it had some ignition problems, it was blowing through coils quite often. I've decided to try to get it going with minimal outlay, if I can get it running I reckon I'll chuck some money at it but I would like to see it even splutter before I do.

What would be your first steps to finding some life? Clutch cable is seized and the gear selector is doing nowt at the moment also. I've a few ideas but bikes are not my forte. I have pumped up the tyres and freed off the brakes.

Re:

No, its dead as a dodo, the key in the ignition doesn't even turn yet. Hasn't moved or turned over in a long long time, can't remember the tax disc on it but I'm thinking 10yrs easy.

Re: Re:

kaiser":1w0a49lc said:
No, its dead as a dodo, the key in the ignition doesn't even turn yet. Hasn't moved or turned over in a long long time, can't remember the tax disc on it but I'm thinking 10yrs easy.

:LOL:

Has it oil in it? Can you rotate engine by hand? Should be able to do that by turning at crankshaft with spanner if its anything like my bikes. I'm no Guzzi expert though. As long as motor not seized then should be able to get going with help from Guzzi forum or FB page.

If not seized you could try jumping the starter terminals with a suitable power supply. Guessing battery goosed by what you're saying.

Italian electrics used to be mental, not sure how much better they are now.

Ignition switch may be tricky to fix - new one possibly better bet.

Have fun :D

Re:

I was hoping that an aftermarket ignition kit would help with the Italian electricals(why could it not have been a BMW). Haven't tried to turn the engine yet, I'll need to find a method. I've never tried to bring an engine back from this dead, seen it oan the telly though :) I was thinking turn the engine, check the oil,plugs,points and battery.

Re:

Klaus , you may have a problem with the fuel lines and carbs. When petrol evapourates it can leave a dark brown residue in the pipes , filter , carb bowls , jets etc .

I had a big issue with a Honda CB1100F in line four . All 4 carbs were blocked with the brown hard varnish type residue after it had been left sitting with an electrical fault. I couldn't get it runing and ended up selling it as a non runner.

Back