Cycling The Ridgeway - Then and Now?

I’ve nothing to add to this thread, other than to say I drove down to Devizes in Wiltshire this morning and saw some of the area this trail passes through and it looks beautiful. One day I’ll try and see it from two wheels.

I’ve nothing to add to this thread, other than to say I drove down to Devizes in Wiltshire this morning and saw some of the area this trail passes through and it looks beautiful. One day I’ll try and see it from two wheels.
Wiltshire can be an county that people pass through on their way to Dorset, Devon or Cornwall etc.

But it is very scenic, with large sweeping landscapes, pretty thatched villages and amazing archaeology. It is well worth a visit, and I consider it to be an excellent holiday destination.

By popular demand. Another picture of my drop-bar FW-Evans ATB taken in the summer of 1984.

As shown in this photo, this bike originally had the gear shifters on the stem, which is not much good for making quick changes of gear. So after being let down by the stem-changers at the 1984 Wendover Bash, I later switched it over to using adapted thumb shifters.

DSC_2585cc.jpg

Last edited:
By popular demand. Another picture of my drop-bar FW-Evans ATB taken in the summer of 1984.

As shown in this photo, this bike originally had the gear shifters on the stem, which is not much good for making quick changes of gear. So after being let down by the stem-changers at the 1984 Wendover Bash, I later switched it over to using adapted thumb shifters.

View attachment 794586
Two lamp brackets? Do you still have the FW?

Two lamp brackets? Do you still have the FW?
Not the FW but I do have the lamp brackets. The two lamps were used for off-road night riding, one pointing at the ground and one pointing ahead. I remember the Ever Ready lights gave a 'T' shaped beam pattern.

I sold the FW in the late 1980's by which time it had evolved into a gravel bike with hub brakes.

Latest posts

Back