Modern groupset on a Retro frame - anyone done it

Here is my 1984 Colnago Super. Restored and built up with a Campagnolo Athena 11sp group. Don't regret this built for a moment, did some great rides with it!

Seatpost is Chorus Ti, so a bit in between. Stem and bars are even earlier than the frame. The wheels are Campagnolo hubs (~90's) on Rigida Chrina rims, with open corsa's.

Planning another neoretro-bike with a nice Martelly frame!

colnago-super-1984-22912_12.jpg

colnago-super-1984-22912_2.jpg

colnago-super-1984-22912_9.jpg

colnago-super-1984-22912_13.jpg

colnago-super-1984-22912_5.jpg

More pics and specs can be found here: http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/colnago-super-1984-22912

It's the only way to go...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,898
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,898
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 1,898
Re:

Neo retro gets my vote. I'm doing a my 94 Serotta Colorado CR at the moment. I think you have to be careful because not all classic / retro steel rides are going to work with Dura Ace Di2 ;) :LOL:

Re:

My Moser Leader AX is currently built up with c record chorus/athena and shamals. I crave modern drivetrain and wheels. Plan is for athena 11 in silver, but all new wheels seem to be black rims! Looking a campag shamal ultras. Any advice for a wheel novice? Can I get an 11spd campag cassette on any campag wheels? Any suggestions? After lightweight wheels as top priority.

Get some handbuilt wheels. H+son tb14s are a nice polished silver and a traditional box section. Not massively light though.
images

TBH you'll probably struggle to get light, polished/silver wheels. Most properly light aluminium rims are grey/dull/black, and come as part of a pre built wheel set.

Not sure about 11 speed compatibility either tho.

Project "Carrot". Fully finished (added bar tape today) and awaiting for some carrot stickers to add to the frame. Shimano 11spd.

Attachments

• IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0073.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 1,673
90s Sycip, new carbon fork, Shimano 5800 11 speed group, 105 hubs laced to NOS Mavic CXP33s, will get a custom stem soon as this looks awkward, but the fit works. The only complaint I have with the modern group is the chainset is so damn ugly.

Sycip-custom-road-5800.jpg

Back